FORUMS: list search recent posts

time lapse

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
time lapse
on Jul 1, 2007 at 4:53:03 pm

Does anybody know how to get really SMOOTH time lapse via motion from a Digital SLR camera?

I just did a test the other night with my new Canon 5D. The standard traffic night shot with streaking headlights and taillights.

I brought the frames into motion... and motion just automatically recognized them as contiunous frames and put them together in sequence for playback.
It look decent, but it was a little bit jumpy. I know this has mostly to do with how the media was captured. More specifically the relationship between the exposure time and interval.

I based my exposure times on wikipedia... check it out:

"In time-lapse photography the camera records images at a specific slow interval such as one frame every thirty seconds (1/30 frame/s). The shutter will be open for some portion of that time. In short exposure time-lapse the film is exposed to light for a normal exposure time over an abnormal frame interval. So for example the camera will be set up to expose a frame for 1/50th of a second every 30 seconds. Such a setup will create the effect of an extremely tight shutter angle giving the resulting film a stop-animation or clay-mation quality.
In long exposure time-lapse the exposure time will approximate the effects of a normal shutter angle. Normally this means that the exposure time should be half of the frame interval. Thus a 30 second frame interval should be accompanied by a 15 second exposure time to simulate a normal shutter. The resulting film will appear smooth.
The exposure time can be calculated based on the desired shutter angle effect and the frame interval with the equation:"

So this is exactly what I did. 15 second exposure with 30 second intervals.
Still a tiny jerky. So, can MOTION fix this somehow?
Also I noticed tiny variations in the exposure.... which increased the perceived jitter.
Is there a program that can very accurately measure the exposure or brightness fluctuations from frame to frame (and then match them)??
Does anyone have any experience with this?

thank you.
sorry for the long post.

Return to posts index

Steve C
Re: time lapse
on Jul 1, 2007 at 5:05:55 pm

I found out at the FCPS2 Tour in Miami the other night that there is a Stabilizing featur in Motion. I'm not sure how to use it, nor have I had time to look into it yet, but just to mention it.

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2007 at 5:08:11 pm

FCP can fix the jerkiness via SmoothCam. On the exposures you can certainly manually color correct.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Jul 1, 2007 at 7:34:13 pm

great. I'm going to give FCP a shot. the only thing (and this is a FCP question)... but it's pertaining to this thread so here goes.

How do I tell final cut pro to only bring one single frame in?? I tried in the preferences but it did nothing... when I drag the jpeg into the timeline it's still a big long clip of the still frame.
I only need a single frame. Is there an easy work around?
I'd like to establish a workflow.
thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve C
on Jul 1, 2007 at 7:51:13 pm

Go into File>User Preference.
Goto the Editing Tab and change the duration of "Still/Freeze Duration" to 00:00:00:01.

I just tried it and it worked fine for me.

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Jul 1, 2007 at 7:59:11 pm

It worked this time.
I restarted final cut and it was fine.

"smooth cam" is weird.
For some reason I thought it analyzed the clip and took the jitter or shake out, but it's doing something different. It's putting some kind of motion in the shot... a tilt/pan movement.

I didn't tell it to do that... all I did was click smooth cam and by default it did the tilt/pan movement.

I'm in filters playing around with it but can't figure out how it works.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2007 at 8:52:32 pm

Make the series of stills into a QuickTime movie- you do this in the QuickTime player. Import a sequence of stills then save out as a movie.

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]