FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imported clips are too short

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafe Murray
Imported clips are too short
on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:09:06 pm

OK, so all of a sudden every quicktime I bring in is too short. When I double click the media in my bin I can play through in the popup, but when I drag stuff into the timeline it's too short and wont let me extend it. I've tried this with several different clips created with different apps including motion. If anyone could help I'd sure appreciat it. It's driving me nuts.

Return to posts index

Dave Rudolph
Re: Imported clips are too short
on Jun 29, 2007 at 6:18:44 am

OK, Rafe is from Memphis. I still think he deserves an answer to his question. Besides, I too am trying to work through this very issue. Is it too basic to aknowledge or just arcane and who knows?

Thanks for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Rafe Murray
on Jun 29, 2007 at 3:29:50 pm

So this was resolved (sort of) in the Apple forums. Apparently Motion doesn't like QTs that don't have timecode. If you bring in captured video it's fine. Fortunately instead of laying clips off to tape, you just have to bring them into FCP and re-export them from the timeline. I left all of my settings 30p, Animation compression with alpha and had no discernible quality loss.
Here's the link to the other thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1005284&tstart=0
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Dave Rudolph
on Jun 30, 2007 at 3:59:10 am

My dv clips were captured in fcp5 from a consumer camera. The clip I sent to Motion was one I had slowed the speed by 60% originally in FCP5. It was my intention to experiment with Optical Flow Frame Blending. The blending seemed to go well except that it was working with the whole capture and the file size was excessive (200+ GB). I then became aware of the work around of exporting just the actual portion of captured clip that you want Motion to consider. That is the how and why of my using QT files. Once Motion 3 was working with the reduced clip the frame blending remained unalterable short in either of the timelines. It may have been half the original length (I ultimately saved the clip while in Motion at 50%). I gave up and tossed this particular clip out. I then repeated this process with FCP clips that I had not already performed any speed changes to. Same thing.

At this point I became aware of the Project Properties window listed in the Edit Menu or (command J). I adjusted the The duration of the clips here and at that point they did in fact roll out to the intended length in the Motion timeline and later in FCP6 as well. Until this point I had been trying to lengthen the clips manually in the timelines as well as the Inspector and FCP Viewer. Did you by any chance try adjusting your clips in Project Properties before arriving at your export/import solution?

I have to wonder about the fact that my capture is from an older consumer camera and I need to add that the sequence they were from were originally edited in FCP5. So not very scientific or conclusive but a little more dialogue to consider on this issue. Funny thing is that was the very first thing I tried to do in Motion. I had noticed the possibility in Apple's online tutorial. I hope the rest goes a little smoother as I think I'd like to spend some time in this application. It seems to have a lot to offer.

Thanks for your assistance Rafe.

Return to posts index

Dave Rudolph
on Jun 30, 2007 at 4:16:34 am

Dang! I should state that the clips imported (and or sent) to Motion correctly. It was after Optical Flow frame blending that the clips shortened.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]