FORUMS: list search recent posts

yeah, dont get the x1900

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Andrus
yeah, dont get the x1900
on Jun 11, 2007 at 4:07:22 pm

Hello,

recently I have been trying to figure out if I should get the x1900 over the 7300 that came with my mac pro, well guess what? I got one and the increase in speed was almost nothing. I had a few projects that I was trying to get running realtime, and I timed out how long it took to play them prior to installing the x1900 and then after and there was almost no change. For example, I had one project that took 55 seconds to play using my 7300 and 50 seconds with the x1900. I was very dissapointed and took the card back to the apple store ( i was suprised that they took it back ). Not to mention that $400 is way too much for a card that is older and costs less than half that for PC. So there you have it folks, as of right now the 7300 is almost as good as it gets, don't upgrade.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: yeah, dont get the x1900
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:02:33 pm

Why can't we use the graphics cards that PCs can use?

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Steven Andrus
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:18:55 pm

apple puts some software on the video card bios that allows it to be recognized as an official apple card. Basically it's price gouging. You can google easily and find a few people that will give you the ROM so that you can flash a PC version of the X1900, however it's not full proof. I just got boot camp working this weekend also, so I may just put a pc card in and see if it will boot with it into windows (i'm not sure if the mac pro bios is what reads the video card bios or if it's software within osx)

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 11, 2007 at 6:11:19 pm

So in other words, you'd have to have some way of fooling the Mac into thinking that whatever graphics card you had, was an official Apple card? I'm just wondering, because I would be willing to drop some big change on a cutting edge graphics card, especially with Motion 3 out now, and it's new Camera 3D functionality.

Though, I'm waiting until the first update for FCPS2 to come out before I upgrade. Everything is working like clockwork right now and I don't want to risk anything yet.

Winston A. Cely

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 11, 2007 at 6:20:56 pm

BTW, I got the X1900XT installed in my Mac Pro when I ordered it from Apple.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 11, 2007 at 6:59:48 pm

For games it will make a huge difference.

http://barefeats.com/quad15.html

For Motion 2, the difference is less than impressive:

http://barefeats.com/quad12.html

I haven't seen specs for Motion 3 or Color yet.

-Russ

Return to posts index

leuey
on Jun 13, 2007 at 4:47:46 am

This really drives me nuts...

I'm holding off an a Mac Pro simply because the graphics cards are outdated (**really** outdated). Apple has to do better than this. I have a G5 Quad with a GeForce 7800 GT and if this were a PC (of which my company has several) I would have swapped it out for a $500 8800 a long time ago.

Instead I'm sitting around on my hands waiting to buy an 8 Core Mac Pro wondering when the hell they will put a graphics card in there worthy of the machine.

Graphics cards should be as easy to install as any other hardware - this sucks.

-Greg

Return to posts index

leuey
on Jun 13, 2007 at 4:48:53 am

wow..i complain a lot (just noticed I complained about the same thing a couple posts down last week)

-G

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 13, 2007 at 4:48:49 pm

Well, that's just it. You have every right to complain. I mean, hell, I still don't understand why Apple isn't making it easy to change graphics cards? What do they have to gain from narrowing the field to outdated graphics cards?

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 13, 2007 at 5:49:44 pm

I want to hack the BIOS so I can run whatever card I want. How do I do it, where do I go to get information, etc.... Am I p*ssing up the wrong tree?

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 16, 2007 at 3:05:54 am

[Winston A. Cely] "I want to hack the BIOS so I can run whatever card I want. How do I do it, where do I go to get information, etc.... Am I p*ssing up the wrong tree?"

You're pissing up the wrong tree. The Mac Pro doesn't have a BIOS, it has the Extensible Firmware Interface. That's the real reason that so few cards are working on the Mac Pro at the moment, not because Apple is evil and trying to make an extra buck. Besides, Intel created EFI, not Apple. Apple is just being bleeding edge by adopting it, much like they did with USB and Firewire. For a detailed explanation of the difference between BIOS and EFI and how it relates to Macs, follow these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

From Roughly Drafted:

"Imaging MacBooks: Understanding MBR, APM, & GPT"

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/0E960A5B-E16E-40A6-B4FD-E4C28F77A366....

"How Apple's Firmware Leapfrogs BIOS PCs"

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/7CC25766-EF64-4D85-AD37-BCC39FBD2A4F....

As more graphics cards begin to support EFI, the situation should improve substantially.

Return to posts index

Steven Andrus
on Jul 6, 2007 at 8:46:31 pm

wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong, you're wrong!

In fact, there are people that are flashing the bios (on the video card not the motherboard) of PC cards and getting them to work. There is also a couple of 7800s people are able to get working because it has the same chipset as the old quadros apple is price gouging. There is nothing "bleeding edge" about selling video cards from 2 years ago for $400.

Return to posts index

Nik Manning
on Jun 15, 2007 at 2:53:11 pm

Yeah this really sucks. The same exact card won't work on a mac because of software? That really is bull.

Young, Dumb, and full of
Potential!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]