FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 overkill?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Andrus
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 overkill?
on Jun 7, 2007 at 4:22:20 pm

Hello,

After talking to some of you guys and then running my own tests with the opengl driver monitor tool I have come to the conclusion that motion indeed does use quite a lot of the video card to achieve it's realtime compositing. SOOOOO, since I am a mographer, and time is money, do you think that the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 (apple sells it for $1700) would make motion scream?

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 overkill?
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:17:37 pm

Heya,

Emphatically, do not get the Quadro for Motion. While it may support a few extra features in Maya, the Quadro does not perform better than the ATI X1900 (and is slower in certain cases).

That, and the 4500 is two years old, at this point. Get the X1900.

Return to posts index

Steven Andrus
on Jun 8, 2007 at 1:42:18 am

Isn't the x1900 old too? Should I just wait to see if something new comes out?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Jun 8, 2007 at 12:22:25 pm

Yah, the X1900 is a single generation old. The X2800 (and friends) have been out for a bit on the PC. The thing is, except for the rare occasion where ATI has sold a card at retail, new GPUs only become available on the Mac as new machines are released. So if you want to wait for a new GPU, you'll probably need to wait until Apple updates the Mac Pro. It all depends on your schedule.

Return to posts index

leuey
on Jun 8, 2007 at 3:51:27 pm

And this is the single reason myself and many other people are holding off on a Mac Pro. Apple needs to find a better solution to this so graphics pro's can take advantage of new hardware. Getting a GForce 8800 is a simple matter for my PC - buy it, drop it in, download the newest driver. Suddenly I have something for a few hundred bucks MUCH faster than anything on the Mac - and much cheaper. On my Quad G5 I'm stuck with what has turned out to be a rather crappy 7800 - unless I want to buy an overpriced and out of date X1900.

Not a good thing..

-Greg

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:00:59 pm

Ao why does Apple do this? I mean, people are always saying that Macs are the way to go on graphics, but if they're constantly using old or at least not cutting edge graphics cards, and you can't get one separately and install it, why do they still have this air to them?

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

omnidecay
on Jun 23, 2007 at 4:32:05 am

This is not overkill at all! Im running a PC and have this card installed, works amazing!!! First, whether its 2 years old or not doesnt mean its still not one of the top cards your able to get on a consumer level (5500,4600,5600 are above it). Quadros in general have just started to make a semi major impact on pc users (Most people dont have them). Not to mention its a 1500$ for pc users, not like we have been reeping the benifits...The drivers that come with these FX cards are among the best if not THE best out. True, MAC is slow, but I would say without a doubt youll be glad you bought this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]