FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cmon Apple Nerds

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Andrus
Cmon Apple Nerds
on Jun 5, 2007 at 3:10:25 pm

OK, I finally sold out and got an apple (mac pro 2.6 w/3gb of ram) and to my dismay, all of my fears are being realized. I want to make motion run smoother, it's not quite as realtime as I had hoped, and "upgrading" a mac can be expensive and futile. I have "heard" that because motion uses a hearty amount of opengl and I just have the basic geforce that it could explain why my cpus are only running about 30% when it's playing like they should be running at 100%. However, I don't want to upgrade my video card only to find out that it doesn't matter at all, especially since I can't just go buy any video card, I have to buy the magic mac video card that has been blessed/price-gouged by steve jobs. None of the mac nerds can give me a straight answer, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that it is because they don't know what they are talking about. I usually get good advice on the cow, so I thought i'd see what you guys thought... ..also, is there a way to just buy some super kick ass bleeding edge gaming card and getting it to work with some open source drivers or something?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Cmon Apple Nerds
on Jun 5, 2007 at 4:04:21 pm

OK,

I'll be the first to say buy the ATI Radeon X1900.

But then there could be another monster card released next week, who knows

Peter

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Jun 5, 2007 at 8:53:55 pm

Yes, the x1900 is currently the way to go.

Motion is heavily dependent on the GPU on the graphics card for most of its magic. The VRAM on the card affects performance depending on the number of objects in the composite, and the CPU speed mostly affects things like particle system calculations.

More and more we will see the Video GPU playing a prominent role in pushing pixels around the screen. The Apple developers conference starts next week and we may see some new hardware announced (they just released the new MacBook Pros today)

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Steven Andrus
on Jun 5, 2007 at 10:17:54 pm

OK, I've been hearing that for years, that software developers were going to start using the powerful GPUs available, so Motion actually does that now?

I guess that leads me to my next question, am I STUCK getting an apple authorized video card?

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Jun 6, 2007 at 11:24:59 pm

Yes, you must get one of the cards that works with Mac. The ATI x1900 is my choice.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]