FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just use Motion 3 or wait for After Effects cs3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gattoka
Just use Motion 3 or wait for After Effects cs3
on May 27, 2007 at 7:13:03 pm

Currently I have Motion 3 and I am in the market for graphic design programs so that I can create a motion graphics demo reel. I will be purchasing a form of Adobe's CS3... The dilemma is that I don't won't to wait for CS3 Production Premium.

So the main question is, is the new motion 3 STABLE enough, FAST enough, POWERFUL enough to do what I want to do....Or should I just wait for After Effects CS3?
AddItionally, I will be interested in taking advantage of the 3d design creation tools in the new Photoshop extended, and was wondering how well it works with motion 3

Examples of what I am into can be found at buck.com, coreaudiovisua.com, gomedia.us

I am running on a Macbook Pro, 2.16 intel core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, 120gb harddrive, Radeon X1600

Thanks a lot!
MC

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Just use Motion 3 or wait for After Effects cs3
on May 27, 2007 at 7:40:27 pm

[gattoka] "So the main question is, is the new motion 3 STABLE enough, FAST enough, POWERFUL enough to do what I want to do....Or should I just wait for After Effects CS3?"

what exactly do you want to do? You just said a motion graphics demo reel but that can mean a lot of things. Both apps can create anything on some of those sites, but they are each different. After Effects has more features, but Motion can be a lot faster with the presets and behaviors. They both work completely differently as well.

[gattoka] "I am running on a Macbook Pro, 2.16 intel core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, 120gb harddrive, Radeon X1600"

Either app is going to be dog slow on there to render. Really doesn't matter which one you go with, I wouldn't create motion graphics on a laptop unless I was on location and that's all I could use. Really want to use a tower with a motion graphics app.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

gattoka
on May 27, 2007 at 10:09:09 pm

Well I just want to be able to create what I want when I want to...I need a professional quality....I do understand that some of the programs used by those studios consisted of 3D design software and some homemade software .... I feel that the features of motion 3 will be enough.... It's really not a question to me which has better features. Im really just scared that motion 3 may not be as stable or fast, but especially stable. Motion 2 would unexpectedly quit just a little to often for my taste.

HAHA, yeah i know i need a tower, but its the best i could do while being in college.

So with that, what would u suggest ...hopefully that made it a little clearer

Thanks agian for your help...I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

lasvideo
on May 27, 2007 at 10:21:31 pm

Heres a thought...If you already own Motion 3 (as stated in your first posting), why not try
doing some creative stuff with it to see if it meets your needs?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 28, 2007 at 2:45:03 am

Yeah that's a lot of dough that you already spent on getting FCS Studio 2- surely it's worth *trying*...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

gattoka
on May 28, 2007 at 3:40:19 pm

Thats a nice thought lasvideo but that still doesn't answer how well photoshop extended will work with motion 3....If I am going to be using the 3d design tools in photoshop extended will import into motion 3 as they would in adobe after effects?

And yes Jim Karter i am stable and fast....thanks for lookin out.

thanks!
MC

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 28, 2007 at 3:46:17 pm

[gattoka] "Thats a nice thought lasvideo but that still doesn't answer how well photoshop extended will work with motion 3....If I am going to be using the 3d design tools in photoshop extended will import into motion 3 as they would in adobe after effects?"

You know one big question I have to ask, why in the world did you purchase Studio 2 with Motion in the first place if you want it to work with all the new Photoshop / After Effects features?

No Motion does not do everything After Effects does. We don't have the new Photoshop CS3 so nobody can tell you for certain if Motion 3 will support all the features until it comes out.

Sounds like you should have just purchased After Effects 7 and upgraded to CS3 later. Motion and After Effects can both do pretty much everything I saw on those site you referenced. They both work differently (seems like I'm repeated everything I already said in an earlier post) As for specifics on how Motion 3 will work with CS3, those are questions for Adobe or you just need to wait until it ships and test it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Austin Wallender
Laptop is just fine for many things
on Jun 3, 2007 at 5:57:46 pm

My Macbook (not pro) renders faster than my dual g5 in CS3 (beta), and I made a lot of great stuff on that box. "Dog slow" is more than unfair - that machine will be fine, esp for a beginner.

If you really want to get into Motion Graphics, learn After Effects. The new motion is cool, but AE is the standard for desktop compositing.

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on May 28, 2007 at 3:01:56 pm

The real question is, are you?

> So the main question is, is the new motion 3 STABLE enough, FAST enough, POWERFUL
> enough to do what I want to do....Or should I just wait for After Effects CS3?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on May 29, 2007 at 5:56:34 am

gattoka: The best favor you can do to yourself is getting both. They're ridiculously cheap if you consider what After Effects used to cost four years ago. And if you're really passionate about motion graphics, then you pretty much have everything covered. Motion 3 is a spectacular step forward, and AE is and will be a standard. They are very complementary in my view, and you can even open Motion 3 projects as clips in After Effects.

I respectfully disagree with Walter about the laptop thing. In the case of Motion, it's very GPU-based and the X1600 in a MBP is not a speed champ, but it's no slouch either. Much better than the Radeon 9800 people were buying last year for their G5s. In the case of After Effects, well, CS3 makes a dual-core laptop faster than a quad core (PPC or Intel) using AE 7. The display is a joy. And Apple's ProRes codec makes editing, compositing and motion graphics on a laptop a reality. The truth is: in either application, I have trouble producing animation that will take more than a few minutes to render. Geez, we're finally getting to a point where a machine can be twice as fast and yet the slower one is just fine. Interesting times!

In any case, my very objective and ubiased opinion is: this MacBook Pro is the best computer I ever had! And Motion 3 and AE CS3 just fly on it. It is my main production machine and I'm not looking back (if only I could justify an IO HD!)

Regarding your Photoshop question... well, it will work. Because Motion can open layered PSD files and Photoshop has this very smart trick: every fancy feature you use, generates a bitmap copy of the results. If you open the file in Photoshop or another Adobe application, the contents will remain "natively" editable in most cases. If you open it in Motion, you will still be able to access a "baked" bitmap from that layer. One exception are layer groups (nested layers). You will want to use just "plain" layers. I am not sure about vector/shape tools. I believe there's a bitmap copy stored for those too, but I haven't tried this in Motion.
Hope this helps.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
ar(AT)adolforozenfeld.com

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on May 30, 2007 at 8:48:31 pm

To add another perspective on the Photoshop issue. I have Photoshop CS Extended on my machine, and I feel like you're asking if it can bring in and display 3d models / objects. The short answer is no. Motion works with 2d objects in 3D space... not 3D objects. The current version doesn't even have cast shadows from light sources. Beyond 3D objects, what Adolfo said about PSDs is dead-on.

On a tangent... when I was in school I outgrew my iBook (first Mac) pretty quickly and wanted something that could keep me growing with FCP, Photoshop, etc. I really wanted a high-end Powerbook to replace it since I'd gotten spoiled by the mobility. A refurbished 1st-gen G5 was CHEAPER. The flexibility of a tower really extended the life of the machine, and since I was able to use it longer without getting frustrated with the performance it would've been cheaper over the life of the machine even if they'd been the same price. What's done is done, but a low-end Mac Pro is much more powerful that a high-end Mac Book Pro and I'll bet the tower would be much cheaper, even with a graphics upgrade.

Zak

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on May 31, 2007 at 2:12:29 am

"the short answer is no. Motion works with 2d objects in 3D space... not 3D objects. "

True. But if you save a PSD with a 3D layer, Photoshop stores a 2D bitmap render of the 3D model. And you do get that when opening it in Motion. I know it's not as cool as importing 3D meshes and make them fly in 3D space, but not bad at all.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
ar(AT)adolforozenfeld.com

Return to posts index

gattoka
on Jun 1, 2007 at 6:30:13 pm

Okay, Thanks everybody for your help!...I actually decided not to wait for Production Premium and I purchased Web Premium...So hopefully it all works out

Thanks again!
MC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]