FORUMS: list search recent posts

particles or replicator for duct simulation?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liane G Rozzell
particles or replicator for duct simulation?
on May 22, 2007 at 7:08:51 pm

Trying to illustrate movement of small particles through a duct with a 90-degree elbow. Need for the flow to look continuous and like it's staying within the bounds of the duct (a 2D drawing). I'm struggling with whether a particle emitter or a replicator is the way to handle this.

I can get a point emitter to follow a motion path, but that's not the right look. I can keep an emitter stationary, but the particles won't follow the path I need, and I have to mask off the duct. It all looks clunky right now.

Maybe a replicator is better? I've seen how replicators can follow a path, which is cool. I'm not yet sure how it might seem that my small objects "flow" along this path.

Any thoughts or hints would be much appreciated.

Peace,
Liane

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: particles or replicator for duct simulation?
on May 23, 2007 at 3:27:50 pm

Hey Liane,

I think a repliactor would be the easy way to go. You can set up a "puff" of particles (small dots, not Motion particles) and replicate those. You can then draw a path along the duct to act as the path for the replicator. Then it's just a matter of animating the replicator offset. Here's a quick example: http://homepage.mac.com/specialcase/movies/duct.mov

Return to posts index

Liane G Rozzell
Re: particles or replicator for duct simulation?
on May 25, 2007 at 1:22:29 pm

Way cool, thanks!

Peace,
Liane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]