FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scale or rendering issue

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Insler
Scale or rendering issue
on May 11, 2007 at 4:12:53 pm

Hey All,

I haven't been able to figure this out in motion for a while and have just been working around it, but I was hoping you'd know what was up. We're working in Final Cut Pro with DVCPRO HD footage, and I have standardized a 1920x1080 Animation graphics package that was created for us (using semi-transparent graphics for lower 3rds, bumps, etc.) to 1280x1080 Animation with embedded alphas to distribute to our editors. Once I export the standardized versions and place them back in FCP, there are two lines (one on the top and one on the bottom of the frame) that are fully transparent. Furthermore, at places where the graphic is totally black or white (...for built in dips to color), background video will show through at these two lines. I can't tell whether this is an alpha problem or a scale problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Am I exporting incorrectly or missing something?

Thanks,

Ben

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: Scale or rendering issue
on May 11, 2007 at 5:31:49 pm

Are you saying that the transparency at top & bottom is 1 pixel high? Or just that there are transparent bands at the top & bottom?

Also, is your DVCPro footage 1080 or 720?

Check the scaling in FCP, & make sure that's not causing the transparent strips.

Finally, how did you receive these files? Why did you bring them into Motion? Maybe you didn't need to.

FWIW, I prefer to make all of my HD comps square pixel, and simply render them to the appropriate codec. I'd leave anything being rendered to animation codec as 1920X1080 square pixels & just drop it into my DVC Pro timeline that way.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: Scale or rendering issue
on May 11, 2007 at 6:23:02 pm

Arnie,

Thanks for the response, and I totally agree about the whole square pixel approach you mentioned. Problem is we have low-res (DV Anamorphic) and high-res versions of the graphics, so when we media manage and reconnect from Final Cut Pro, non-native format graphics will become stretched and we're trying to expedite the workflow... but I do agree with you.

The DVCPRO footage is upresed from 720 to 1080, but that doesn't matter because the footage it not in the graphics. The graphics are just composited on top in Final Cut Pro, and we're editing using DVCPRO HD 1080i60.

Scaling/Distort is all off or set normally on the graphic clips.

I've zoomed in to the fringes of my frame in motion, and there is definitely a 1-pixel rim running around the entirety of each graphic that is transparent, or significantly more so than it should be. Checking the source graphics, this is not the case with the clips in FCP.

Thanks again,

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]