FORUMS: list search recent posts

greenscreen and traveling mattes: Motion or FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mortimer heathcliff
greenscreen and traveling mattes: Motion or FCP?
on Mar 23, 2007 at 7:14:27 pm

i know, After Effects is probably the answer here, but i don't have it and have never used it, but now i'm being called on to do some green screen stuff and might have to bite the bullet and get AE. but, short of buying AE, is it best to do greenscreen work in Motion or FCP? i'm completely new to this aspect of production, so any input would be great. thanks!

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
Re: greenscreen and traveling mattes: Motion or FCP?
on Mar 23, 2007 at 9:06:13 pm

Between FCP and Motion you're better off in Motion. It has better tools for making garbage mattes, or any other masks of mattes you might end up using. I'm by no means an expert keyer, but the one thing I can tell you is not try to make 1 filter do it all. You're better off combining several iterations of a filter affecting different parts of the image than trying to stretch 1 copy to cover everything.

Zak

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Mar 24, 2007 at 4:30:20 am

If the greenscreens are well lit, you should be able to pull keys in either program. you may, however, want to buy a better keyer than what comes with either FCP or Motion.

While you're at it, though, take a look at Shake. It's now only $500, it comes with both Primatte & Keylight, and it has 1st rate tools for masking & rotoscoping.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 25, 2007 at 5:32:01 pm

Really depends on the specific shot and its issues. I've done shows where we split half the keys between Motion. You definitely want DV Matte or something similar.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]