FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fields Issue

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
klaus
Fields Issue
on Mar 7, 2007 at 4:59:29 am

I have been using Motion (and, specifically, the DV Matte Blast Plugin) to chromakey green screen backgrounds, and roundtripping with Final Cut Pro. When I play the clip on the FCP timeline it flickers quite badly when there is even the slightest bit of movement. If deinterlace in Motion I see some improvement, but it's still pretty bad. If I deinterlace the clip in FCP the flicker disappears completely.

I am reluctant to resort to simply deinterlacing in FCP because I do not want to lose resolution. My understanding is that deinterlacing in Motion is more effective.

The footage was shot in HDV Pal using a Sony Z1, and downconverted to SD in camera. I know that HDV Pal is upper field dominant, and SD pal is lower field dominant, so I'm not sure if this is causing a fields issue. I am working on the understanding that when you downconvert to SD the footage changes from upper to lower field dominant, and my timeline is set to lower field dominant.

If anyone could shed any light on how to solve this flicker problem it would be most appreciated.

Return to posts index

grafxflow
Re: Fields Issue
on Mar 8, 2007 at 9:26:20 am

Hi,

Is 'shift fields' active on your clips filters?

grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

klaus
on Mar 9, 2007 at 5:31:22 am

Thanks for your reply.

No, 'shift fields' is not active in my clip filters.

I should also add that it looks fine on my LCD display when I play it, and it's only when I watch it on a CRT display that it flickers which confirms the idea that it is a fields issue.

Return to posts index

grafxflow
on Mar 9, 2007 at 4:46:00 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to go into motion and change the field settings, to see if they conflict with the ones in final cut sequence - Edit/Project Properties/General/Field Order.

Also not sure if this would work but have you tried converting the original footage to a higher spec like Uncompressed 8bit.

grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

klaus
on Mar 12, 2007 at 10:39:16 pm

Thanks for your response

Have checked the project properties in Motion and they are the same as the FCP timeline - lower field dominant for Pal.

Have not tried to convert the original footage to uncompressed 8 bit. Not a good workflow for me. But I will test it out as an experiment, just to see.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]