FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transparent Background

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filmeditorjoe
Transparent Background
on Feb 17, 2007 at 7:23:27 pm

Hi: Working with just making some simple titles in motion and having trouble getting the background to be anything other than the default black. Here is what I have tried:

Changing the project properties to 0% (open apple + j) and exporting out as a QT File, then imported into FCP and still saw the black background in the timeline

I can't find anything else in the online manual about transparent backgrounds.

Thanks,

JOE

Return to posts index

Ken Nemetchek
Re: Transparent Background
on Feb 17, 2007 at 9:13:51 pm

Okay, perhaps you need to export a QT file (not sure why, but maybe). If so, I'm not sure what the problem is.

If you don't absolutely need it as a descrete element in FCP, do the following:

Save the Motion project.
On the top of the canvas window is the name of the project, with a little page icon on its left. Grab this so that it comes loose. Don't release the mouse.
Apple-Tab to switch to FCP and drag it onto the timeline. Release the mouse. Render and be amazed (this is called Round-Tripping).
If you need to make changes, select the Motion clip in the timeline, right-click and select Open in Editor.
Make your changes and save the revised Motion project.
Tab back to FCP and the changes will be there.

If memory serves, this feature (Round-Tripping) works on FCP from version 5.0 on.

Good luck.

Ken

Return to posts index

nelsonmay10
on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:31:55 am

I am on the above post for DV matte blast help and just tried the "roundtrip". No audio came in with the clip and after rendering I have black canvas and viewer windows

Return to posts index

nelsonmay10
on Feb 19, 2007 at 5:48:40 pm

I got the round trip to finally work, but even when you set the background to 0%, I am assuming this is to get no color at all, there seems to be a hint of something that is very slightly non-transparent when I import into FCP. I keyed a person with DV Matte Blast and put a background of the Rocky Mountains (in FCP) and rendered. I can still see the the slightly non-trasparent background that came from motion over top of my background.

Return to posts index

rob3cats
on Feb 17, 2007 at 11:01:29 pm

Did you try exporting it as "Animation" lossless + alpha ?

Return to posts index

grafxflow
on Feb 18, 2007 at 12:44:03 am

Try using livetype instead.

Return to posts index

Ken Nemetchek
on Feb 20, 2007 at 8:07:50 pm

The other thing you can do is drag the clip from the timeline into the browser and then experiment with different Alpha settings (scroll to the right).

Good luck.

Ken

Return to posts index

nelsonmay10
on Feb 22, 2007 at 7:04:52 pm

Thanks Ken,

It took some playing, but the roundtip method works the best for a transparent bacground. I think I didn't have my background (playing with red and green spill etc.) as transparent as I wanted. When I drag back to FCP and render things look pretty good. For digital keying that is. I think DV garage should explain the process a litle better. They have great tutorials, but no instructions and I have had three emails never returned when asking for help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]