FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion: No external broadcast monitor view

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Burt Brown
Motion: No external broadcast monitor view
on Feb 11, 2007 at 2:18:12 am

Hi Folks:

I've been using the FCP 5 HD suit on a Quad G5 for 10 months now. FCP outputs fine to an external broadcast monitor, however, no matter what I try, MOTION 2.0 will not. I have 3 extra books on Motion, have searched Apples FCP/Motion help site, creativecow's list, as well as others. No luck in coming up with an answer. The given instructions seem simple enough to turn the output on, but I have yet to see anything on the monitor. We're firewiring from the G5 to a dvcpro deck then to the broadcast monitor.

Possible hint of something wrong. I have installed the FCP suite on a second, identical G5 and it does the same thing: FCP outputs to broadcast monitor, but not Motion. Very frustrating as I use Motion for a lot of graphics on spots and need to check font appearance for broadcast. Anyone seen, heard of or experienced this problem?

Additionally, has anyone had experience with the Apple DVI to Video Adapter (about $19 now)? I'd like to be able to view anything I'm working on in the Cinema display on a broadcast monitor, After Effects, Photoshop or any other program I choose to install. (I realize some programs allow this internally).

Any help would be GREATLY appreaciated.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Motion: No external broadcast monitor view
on Feb 11, 2007 at 2:35:15 am

I've never used Firewire for viewing, but I can tell you that output works perfectly with our AJA Kona boards. This goes for Motion, Photoshop and After Effects.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 13, 2007 at 12:08:05 pm

FWIW my decklink cards have worked from day 1, infact before day 1 :)

Peter

Return to posts index

Burt Brown
on Feb 14, 2007 at 3:11:44 am

Hi, Peter!

Ha, ha! Yes, a decklink card may eventualy be a requirement, however, according to the manual, it shouldn't be necessary for the external viewing. I've got an idea it's a setting I haven't discovered, but, so far I'm stumped! :) Many thanks for the input!

Burt

Return to posts index

Burt Brown
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:52:35 am

Hi, Walter!

I very much appreciate the input. The curious thing in this situation is that FCP works perfectly fine through the firewire to dvcpro deck to external monitor connection, however Motion does not. The fault is most probably mine in overlooking something, but I'm stuck. I have seen only one other mention of this occuring in a threat on another site, but no solution was posted. Again, many thanks for the post.

Burt

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:45:31 pm

Have you turned on External Video under the View menu (cmd-F12)?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Burt Brown
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:15:54 am

Hi, Jim!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried that and I wish it had been that easy. But, perhaps, you can answer this question. Do you recall if Motion defaults to the "view on an external monitor" mode when the program is first installed?

Burt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]