FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK, got the file replaced but no matte....

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loretta Billingsley
OK, got the file replaced but no matte....
on Feb 6, 2007 at 8:16:55 pm

So I replaced a file on an animation. It's the exact animation, same photoshop file but with words missing. So, theoretically, I could track a matte over one without the words to reveal the words...except the matte for the photoshop file on the replaced file isn't there...how come? Thanks, L

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: OK, got the file replaced but no matte....
on Feb 7, 2007 at 6:17:11 am

Heya,

It might be that you need to adjust the alpha interpretation on the media. Check out this thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/170/857840?

Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Feb 8, 2007 at 2:31:31 pm

Are the letters of the text on text layers in the PS file?

Are you using a layer mask or a single alpha channel in the file?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Loretta Billingsley
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:41:40 am

Not quite sure how to respond but here goes...The original PS file was a triangle shape filled with 4 different colors with type over the different colors. I received it as 1 layer. I redid it...sectioning it off into 4 different layers to animate, imported into Motion, no problem...
And this is all over a transparent background.

So, my client asked to transition the type on...so, I went back into the original file, color picked the backgrounds, painted out the type, made a new file and replaced the original file in Motion with this new file....but no matter how I rendered, there was no alpha to be found...does this make sense? My initial idea was to just do a cool transition between two QT's with embedded alphas ...the only difference was one had type, one did not.

I fixed it in Avid DS using a simple luma key effect....not exactly simple but it did work and was keyable as a final rendered QT file with alpha.

Delivered on time...but love Motion...great combo of AE and Combustion but more intuitive, I find.

L

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Feb 13, 2007 at 3:10:07 am

If you went back into the original file did it only have one layer? Was it called "background?" If so, there wouldn't be an alpha channel unless you created one.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Loretta Billingsley
on Feb 19, 2007 at 5:35:02 pm

Hey, Jim, Nope, it was multi layered and none of the layers were labeled as background. This problem continued to haunt me.

I also built titles using the text in Motion and adding text animation in Motion. When I rendered, I rendered out with alpha but 80% of them didn't render the alpha. In addition, once I got all the titles redone and checked for alphas in AE, when the editor keyed them in FCP, they were dull...he had to add a color correction to them to add lunimance. And the effects were drab.

Would it be better to render not premult? Its that the problem?

Thanks, L

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]