FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Dominance problem- Motion to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
Field Dominance problem- Motion to FCP
on Jan 6, 2007 at 9:58:11 pm

I am in PAL land and work exculsively with DigiBeta material. The video clips incorporated into my graphics created in Motion and played back in FCP have a defect that looks like a field dominace problem. I'll describe my workflow:

In FCP my sequence settings indicate upper/odd Field Dominance. I am using the 10 bit incompressed preset.

1)Export using quicktime each single clip I want to use in my Motion graphic and place in a separate folder to locate them quickly. Export settings in QT are identical to project preset - 10 bit uncompressed.

2)Create my graphic in Motion (in preferences>output I have indicated upper/odd field dominance.)

3) I export the finished graphic as a QT file (using the same preset as my FCP project. (I prefer to do that so the graphic doesn't unrender if I trim it a frame or 2)

4) Since I have exported the graphic using the same project settings there is no need to render in FCP, yet when I play it, the individual video clip show some tearing in the image, obviously more pronounced the more movement there is in the clip.

If I apply a deinterlace filter (I know that's not an ideal way to go) the problem disappears (though I've cut my resolution in halfI tried that just to test if indeed the problem is with the interlacing.

What setting am I missing? What am I doing wrong?!
Thanks anybody!!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.1.2, OS X10.4.8

Return to posts index

lightning ad
Re: Field Dominance problem- Motion to FCP
on Jan 16, 2007 at 4:10:32 pm

check your project properties (under edit menu)- the built in option is incorrect. You need to set your settings again. The pal option puts the field order incorrectly as even - this needs to be odd. And you need to check this for every project as i haven't been able to set a default that works for me (I too am exclusively digibeta pal, 10bit uncomp, etc.)

good luck

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
Re: Field Dominance problem- Motion to FCP
on Jan 20, 2007 at 9:52:32 am

I do have that setting set to upper in Motion... Hmmm... I wonder if the problem lies in FCP? I capture through the AJA I/O. The capture preset PAL setting has no apparent way to be sure that the field dominace is correct. The sequence setting preset instead has this possibility and I've set it to upper. Perhaps the material is being digitized incorrectly in the first place? But then again, if that were the case I'd see the red render bar in my sequences, which I don't... so back too square one... I'm stumped. Any other ideas? I definetly have something set up improperly...

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.1.2, OS X10.4.8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]