Shane Seley
Motion2 HDV projects
on Dec 28, 2006 at 8:44:38 pm

Mac Pro Dual, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM,
Kona LHe, driver v3.3
FCP 5.1.2
Motion2.1.2
Seagate SATA - 3 - 750 gb

I'm working on a long-form HDV doc with a ton of content, right now off-lining in DV. Since getting this new system a month ago, I've experienced some serious performance issues - mainly in regards to Motion projects. I've gotten more Beach Balls than I've EVER experienced on FCP and I've been on the software since version 2. I've had to break the project into small chunks which is a pain if you want to access a clip in another chunk. But, I'm thinking my issues have something to do with this...

I'm working with a ton of still content (mainly large .tifs - which are NOT loaded into the FCP project). My strategy was to build the still moves in Motion - as HDV projects - and use these in the DV offline so I wouldn't have to rebuild them when I media manage to HDV. This also helps me to insure that the image sizes will work at HDV rez.

But, I guess I was mistaken... I'm crashing when simply opening Motion folders in my FCP browser or when I've clicked between windows too quickly. I thought the whole intent of getting a faster machine with more RAM was to work faster and more efficiently. Plus, I just realized that FCP has a 4GB ceiling on RAM allocation - great! I've tried to trash prefs, etc., etc. - just wondering if anyone's had to deal with this yet? Would I be better off building DV Motion projects for the off-line? Also, if the Motion folders give me trouble now - in a DV project - how hard is the HDV project going to be to manage?

Thanks in advance for your commentary or advice!

Shane Seley
Wide Awake Films - Kansas City

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion2 HDV projects
on Dec 30, 2006 at 3:49:14 am

Try zapping your PRAM and see if that helps any:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shane Seley
Re: Motion2 HDV projects
on Jan 2, 2007 at 3:49:53 pm

Thanks Noah... the PRAM didn't help, though. I've got a definite problem with the (HDV) Motion projects within the (DV) FCP project I was working on... Based upon what I've found, it's critical NOT to mix different codecs within a DV sequence, something I knew but was frighteningly reminded of with this project. Will continue forward from here and post any new stuff I discover.

Thanks!
Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]