FORUMS: list search recent posts

picture tearing in imported video clips

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
picture tearing in imported video clips
on Dec 4, 2006 at 9:23:33 am

I wonder if somebody could help me pin point a problem I often experience when dealing with moving video in a Motion project (especially noticeable with any sort of "normal" PAN movement - but also with moving subjects).

1) I begin new Motion project with PAL broadcast preset (changed field order to odd)
2) Using file browser in Motion I import a video clip into my project (captured in FCP using AJA I/O and SDI PAL setup- field order odd)
3) Without doing any work at all in Motion, I do a RAM preview of the clip and get a terrible tearing effect in the video (unfortunately I don't know how to post a frame of this problem but it's as if the 2 frames of the video field are ripping apart from each other...

Do I have some setting wrong? Should one be able to plop video into the motion project seamlessly?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.03, OS X10.4.3

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: picture tearing in imported video clips
on Dec 4, 2006 at 9:38:52 am

Sounds like a field order problem, but as you note, you are using upper/odd settings which is correct for PAL 8 or 10bit sequences.
Do you see this on the LCD or just the AJA? are your output prefs set correctly?

Are you working in DV by any chance? Then the field order for both is lower/even.
Also remember that old bit of advice of making sure you are running the latest versions etc etc

Yes, you should be able to 'plop'

Peter

Free Motion Templates

peterwiggins.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
Re: picture tearing in imported video clips
on Dec 4, 2006 at 11:36:22 am

Thanks Peter. I'll recheck all settings again and try to duplicate the problem. I am working in SDI from DigiBeta, so upper all the way. I have Motion 2.1.2. Just out of curiosity, what do you work with as your project preset? I only see 1 preset for PAL (PAL DV Broadcast) in the drop down menu. I copied and edited it changing the field domnance to upper. It seems strange to me that there aren't other options available.
I am referring to the "preferences then presents" window. That may be where my problem lies....
Thanks for your "PAL land" help.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.03, OS X10.4.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]