FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bug report/feature request

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Budrick21
Bug report/feature request
on Dec 1, 2006 at 2:41:12 pm

I'm new to Motion, have more experience in After Effects, but since I'm cutting in FCP, I'm trying to move a lot of the simpler stuff over to that side.

I'm having a couple of issues that I wanted to put out here and see if it's just something I'm missing:

1. If I want to scale a picture, and then adjust the keyframes for whatever reason, there should be a way to lock the x and y parameters together. Specifically when adjusting the keyframes in the timeline, it's very tedious to adjust X and Y as separate keyframes.

2. If I mask a picture, for instance in order to do an inset, Motion should be aware that if I'm applying an effect, such as Border, that I want that to apply to the masked picture, not the full raster.

In general I like the UI very much. Maybe I'm just too keyframe reliant, but there are times when Motion doesn't feel ready for prime-time.

If it's not me missing something simple, then I'll go the Apple site and make a bug report/feature request.

Return to posts index

Budrick21
And another thing
on Dec 1, 2006 at 4:11:10 pm

I haven't yet been able to cut and paste keyframes from one layer to another. It has to be possible, right? Select keyframe, command-c, navigate to new layer, command-v -- should work, right?
Not for me. Not even if I add keyframes to the parameter first.

Clearly the developers were looking at After Effects when they made this puppy. Copying keyframes should be pretty intuitive for AE users (including the way new keyframes are added when you change a value on keyframed parameter, and being able to move keframes proportionately on the timeline - as in "option-select" keyframes, then drag the last keyframe back and forth.)

Return to posts index

Ryan Leimbach
Try this trick for copying keyframes
on Dec 1, 2006 at 9:44:48 pm

1. Choose the Object or layer in which the keyframes are recorded.
2. Disable the Animation for the Parameters that you want to copy. Located on drop down when clicking on the keyframe indicator.
3. Drop the Custom Behavior on the Object or Layer.
4. On the Custom Behavior, Add the Parameters that you wish to copy. (If you use Scale set the value to 0. Default is 100)
5. Now Enable the Animation for each Parameter on the Custom Behavior.
6. Move the Custom Behavior to the destination Object. If you wish to leave the Custom Behavior on the original object. Enable Animation on the parameters of the original Object and reset parameters to defaults from .

Its even easier if you just keyframe to the custom behavior in the first place.

Return to posts index

Budrick21
Re: Try this trick for copying keyframes
on Dec 3, 2006 at 6:24:13 pm

I think I prefer dragging the parameter with the desired keyframes to the target object, but I still wish command-v/command-c worked.

Return to posts index

Ryan Leimbach
Re: Try this trick for copying keyframes
on Dec 4, 2006 at 8:02:45 am

I agree

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Bug report/feature request
on Dec 1, 2006 at 6:19:58 pm

Heya,

Motion's order-of-operations goes Image->Filters->Masks->Blending, so if you want to filter a masked object, you just need to nest it in a layer and filter the layer.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on Dec 1, 2006 at 8:39:30 pm

I put the filter after the mask, if that's what you mean, but the whole raster was affected. In this case I had an oval mask around the subject's face; the effect did not respect the shape of the mask.

If that works for you and not for me, then maybe there's some other issue to consider.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Dec 1, 2006 at 10:02:01 pm

Heya,

Okay, now go back and re-read my post :) Unlike in a node-based compositor where you, the user, can dictate the order-of-operations, Motion (like AE) has a fixed one. Since filters get processed before masks (on a given object), if you want a filter a masked result, you need to nest the masked object in a new layer and filter the new layer. It's like pre-comping in AE, though not as compartmentalized. Just to clarify: don't confuse a "layer" in Motion with a "layer" in AE. In Motion, layers are containers that hold objects, like pre-comps. In AE, they're the image-generating objects like images, solids, text, etc. Here's your stack in the Layers List:

Layer
->Filter
->My Image To Be Masked
--->Mask

The image object gets masked, and then the layer gets filtered. This way your mask processes before the filter, giving you your desired result.

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on Dec 1, 2006 at 10:30:13 pm

Well there, Special C

I defer to your experience in Motion, since mine is quite limited (about a week now). However, I'm pretty adept at AE, and am very comfortable with the idea of layers, and precomps, and I'm pretty sure I get the idea of objects within layers in Motion, and how that's similar to a precomp in AE.

However, to be very specific, the filter Simple Border still appears to me not to respect masks not matter how you embed them. I'll reread your posts a few more times and retry, but so far, it's raster only.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Dec 1, 2006 at 10:51:30 pm

Ah, my bad, I didn't pay attention to the particular filter you were using. The Simple Border filter adds a border based on an object's bounding box, not the alpha. If you're trying to add a single-color line based on the alpha, try using the Outer Glow filter and setting the Inner and Outer colors to the same value. The Range parameter then affects the softness/hardness.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on Dec 2, 2006 at 8:35:00 pm

Now we're talking. Thanks, Specialcase!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]