FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
russ930
Particle effect
on Nov 19, 2006 at 6:56:16 pm

How do I apply a particle effect to only my subject and not the rest of the clip? I am using the stock Motion particle effects.
Thanks

Return to posts index

JIm Kanter
Re: Particle effect
on Nov 19, 2006 at 6:58:11 pm

Could you be more specific? What do you mean by your "subject and not the rest of the clip?" Are you trying to contain the particle effect in the area of someone on screen?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

russ930
on Nov 19, 2006 at 7:24:38 pm

Yes, I just want the effect over the person and not the background

Return to posts index

JIm Kanter
on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:35:11 pm

Then you need to make a mask in the shape of the person. You can do this by making a copy of the footage of the person and roto the clip to show just the person. Then select the particle system, add an image mask and drag the roto'd person element into the mask.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:27:54 pm

I had something similar to this that I needed to do for a clip. I wanted to highlight the light parts of an x-ray that was hand held during a shot of a doctor and patient. I knew I needed to make a mask, but I didn't want to have to roto the whole thing, even though it was only a 15 sec clip. So, I made a duplicate of the video, turned it black and white and adjusted the contrast, etc. Then, because it wasn't perfect, I added a soft shape mask to the image so that the layer was just this small area of the x-ray as a mask. Long story short (too, late) I had a moving mask so that I could add a glow effect to one area without adding it to the whole image or roto'ing anything.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]