FORUMS: list search recent posts

export file with transparent background

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mmazur1o5
export file with transparent background
on Nov 14, 2006 at 5:45:32 pm

I have created a batch of lower-thirds for a concert but can not figure out how to export the graphics with a transparent background. When I export it and import it into FCP it hasd a black background even though the view in motion is transparent BG. Can someone please help?

Return to posts index

Peter Wikoff
Re: export file with transparent background
on Nov 14, 2006 at 9:08:35 pm

You need to make sure you've selected a codec that supports alpha channels. If you are using the export option in Motion, when the save dialog comes up, go to the export preset option and select Lossless+Alpha.

Peter

Return to posts index

mmazur1o5
on Nov 14, 2006 at 9:27:46 pm

I always use that option. The codec that I am using is HDV60i 1080. I use lossless + alpha and I have the background set to transparent. Any other ideas what is going on?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Nov 14, 2006 at 10:18:56 pm

Heya,

Very few codecs support an alpha channel. Typically, people use the Animation codec, which is essentially lossless and has alpha. If you're using the lower-thirds in FCP, though, why are you exporting? Why not just drop the Motion projects into FCP and take advantage of the round-tripping?

Return to posts index

Peter Wikoff
on Nov 14, 2006 at 10:33:52 pm

As specialcase pointed out, you do need to use a codec such as Animation that supports an alpha. Unfortunately, even when you select HDV 1080i codec, Motion will still give you the impression in the export summary box that it will export the file as a Millions+ file (RGBA). HDV does not support an embedded alpha. As a side note, if you're working with any format that ends in DV, it's almost always a better idea to export in a lossless codec. DV/HDV are more lossy than a lot of users realize, and you don't want to crush all your data until you have to.

Return to posts index

mmazur1o5
on Nov 14, 2006 at 10:42:30 pm

Thanks for all of the help. I just decided to export the piece of video out of my timeline and put it into the background of the motion project... problem solved.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 14, 2006 at 10:48:44 pm

Specialcase is on the money. Import the Motion files into your FCP timeline, that way if you need to tweak them, you don't have to keep exporting out files.

BTW, if you have tons of Motion name keys or lower thirds, I highly recommend getting Digital Heaven's AutoMotion. It's one of the best tools I've used with Motion. We have to do name keys a lot and it's cut down the time to make all those different lower thirds to a matter of minutes instead of hours or even days!

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

mmazur1o5
on Nov 14, 2006 at 10:53:18 pm

When I bring the motion PF into FCP its is barely visible. In the timeline layed on top of the video it looks as though the lower third is set at a 15 percent opacity. Any idea what is going on? Is it still an issue with the alpha channel and HDV, since the PF settings are for HDV?

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:24:35 am

What are the settings for you're Motion files? Though it's possible to, for example, have a Motion file that's created with SD settings and bring it into a FCP project that's setup as one of the numerous HD settings, but it's not advisable. Make sure that whatever your Motion File settings are, match the sequence settings in FCP.

If you're still having trouble, what's the color of your background in Motion. Every now and then, the background will through me off what the actual lower third is going to look like. (Things will look more saturated or less transparent and then when in FCP they're the opposite). Just to make sure, sometimes I'll drop in a still frame of video from my FCP sequence in to my Motion file, just so I'm not surprised.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]