FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion training for everyday editing tricks

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PDPost
Motion training for everyday editing tricks
on Oct 6, 2006 at 3:07:19 pm

Hello,

I switched over to Final Cut Studio primarily from Accom StrataSphere non-linear editing (after about 8 years with that line) in January and bought the DMTS FCS training DVDs, which are outstanding and definitely got me up and running especially with FCP, DVDSP and just enough of STP. I started linear editing back in '83, so I can remember when these were all their own stand alone, million dollar systems!

Since switching, I've re-viewed the FCP training, after a couple months of medium to heavy use, just to see if there was anything there that I might have missed. I also thought I'd re-visit the Motion training, and for the last three half-to-full days, I went through the two tutorial DVDs. They are truly outstanding, however the corporate projects that I usually do don't call much for Motion-type effects too often. So, I'll most likely forget everything that I learned (and even what I learned is still a bit shaky since a lot of it is new to start with) by the time I need to actually use it.

What I'm wondering is has anyone ever seen a training DVD or book that is geared down a bit to just showing specific examples of what can be done quickly and nicely from a video editor's (not a graphic artist's) perspective and everyday need? I saw the Motion "Time" Filters that have the older, linear ADO/A53 "strobe" and "trails" type effects. This is the type of stuff that I mean, and other basic editing stuff that's even more involved, that would be great for me to start with for a couple of months, at which time I can re-visit the DMTS training and ideally retain more of the advanced stuff.

Please let me know if you know of a training DVD or book that has examples, etc., of stuff an everyday editor can use. By the way, I do not mean to talk down about the DMTS FCS training DVDs - in fact, it's the other way around! I would definitely recommend it to anyone at any experience level, it's just that the Motion part is a bit too much for me personally at this point (I picked up FCP, DVDSP and enough of STP right away thanks to it, though).

Thanks in advance!

G5 Quad 2.5 Desktop with 4GB Ram, 500GB HD & Fiber Card ~
30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA ~
Swift Data 200 Internal 1.6TB SATA II RAID 0 ~
AJA Io LA ~
Final Cut Studio ~
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP ~~~

P D Post Productions, Inc. ~
TV~DVD~VHS~CD~WEB
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs, Family Occasions since 1983 ~
E-mail PD@PDPost.com ~
Website http://www.PDPost.com ~
Business/Cell Phone (847) 275-5671

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Motion training for everyday editing tricks
on Oct 6, 2006 at 4:34:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the quality of my Motion DVD.

What sorts of "simple" techniques are you interested in? I would be willing to create and post additional basic tutorials, but everyone's idea of "basic" is different.

For example, do you want to see how to create flying picture-in-picture boxes? Or animate a nice lower-third background bar? Or get a sense of how to use different filters?

Jim

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

PDPost
on Oct 6, 2006 at 6:25:42 pm

Thanks, Jim!

That's wild - I feel like I know you personally since I watched you teach Motion 2 for the last couple of days (and in January as well)! You are very good and knowledgable, it's just too much information for me at this point to retain long enough to be able to remember when I actually need to use it.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to see how to steady a shaky shot (I know AE can do this but I don't know if Motion can), do a silouette effect similar to the iPod commercial, do strobes, trails, and all of the stuff that I don't even know about that Motion can already do quickly and easily in order to spice up even just a full-screen piece of video. You know, the kind of stuff that when a client says "can you jazz that shot (or sequence of shots) up a bit", I'd be able to quickly and easily "Send To" Motion and do. In general, though, my clients don't want to pay me for stuff that takes too much time.

The things you mentioned that are more editor (as opposed to graphic artist) geared, like creating flying picture-in-picture boxes (which I have done somewhat in FCP but can probably do better in Motion), animating lower-third background bars (which I have done in LiveType, as well as full-screen bullet-list type pages, but I'm sure that I can probably do better in Motion) and getting a sense of how to use different filters with real-life examples specifically for editing situations, would be outstanding to know as well.

Perhaps this is an idea ("Basic Motion Examples for Editors" or something like that) for another training DVD!?!

Thanks in advance and, again, I do plan on re-viewing your DVD in six months or so when I'm ready to get deeper into FCS! Thanks to you, though, I feel comfortable enough with the Motion GUI now and with the theory of where to go to do different things. Now I just have to use it before I forget it!
-Pat

G5 Quad 2.5 Desktop with 4GB Ram, 500GB HD & Fiber Card ~
30" Cinema Display & 17" Sony SVGA ~
Swift Data 200 Internal 1.6TB SATA II RAID 0 ~
AJA Io LA ~
Final Cut Studio ~
Sony UVW-1800 Beta-SP ~~~

P D Post Productions, Inc. ~
TV~DVD~VHS~CD~WEB
for Corporate Communications, Commercials, Infomercials, Television Programs, Family Occasions since 1983 ~
E-mail PD@PDPost.com ~
Website http://www.PDPost.com ~
Business/Cell Phone (847) 275-5671

Return to posts index

Daniel Serrano
on Oct 23, 2006 at 7:57:01 am

a tutorial about transitions in motion will be basic and fun....damental for many of us...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]