FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting an alpha channel on Motion product

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clifford L. Frazier
Getting an alpha channel on Motion product
on Oct 4, 2006 at 4:56:30 am

Greetings, I'm trying to get a simple motion export to work in FCP. I used two fires in Motion. I then typed some words. I wanted to get the fire to dance in the letters. I accomplished that by using the Stencil Alpha. Then, I exported the movie so I could bring it into FCP - so far so good. However, when I tried to put the flaming text movie over video in FCP I was unsuccessful. It seems that the black around the letters were not alpha. So, I tried doing a color key filter. It did remove most of the black, but the results were not good - as in the letters' edge was not crisp. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot figure it out. Please someone help me with this. I want to create the letters with flames in them and then bring that into FCP project where only the flaming letters show over the video.

Thank you in advance for your help.

The TechnoRev

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Getting an alpha channel on Motion product
on Oct 4, 2006 at 5:00:06 pm

What about just bringing in the Motion file into FCP? That should give you your alpha. Even though I think the render on a motion file takes a little longer in FCP than an alpha'd movie, you have the flexibility of only needing to edit the Motion file and not have to re-export a movie file whenever you have to change the animation.

If you're hell-bent on exporting a movie, make sure that in Project Properties, your background is set to 0%. When you're exporting, export your QT file as an animation codec, with the "millions+" colors. I believe that "+" means that you'll be making sure that the alpha is included. Hope this helps.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

Clifford L. Frazier
on Oct 4, 2006 at 9:55:43 pm

Thanks so much Winston. It worked perfectly bring it in as a motn file. I look forward to understanding more of what Motion does.

The TechnoRev

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Oct 5, 2006 at 12:01:43 am

Glad I could help!

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]