FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 2 crashing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Parker
Motion 2 crashing
on Sep 14, 2006 at 8:24:55 pm

I've been using Motion 2 in HD720p and am experiencing multiple crashes. I mostly use the application for photos. I trashed the perferences and crossgraded to FCP Studio 5.1 to no avail. Can anyone suggest something else to fix the problem?

I use a G5 w/ 4GB of RAM.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Motion 2 crashing
on Sep 30, 2006 at 11:58:59 am

It's really stable here... so I'd suggest a clean install of a new startup disk... Sounds a bit like the "sledge hammer" approach, but I really believe this should be done periodically... at least every time a new OS is installed... not updates, but upgrades you pay for...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

Lance Drake
Re: Motion 2 crashing
on Oct 2, 2006 at 8:41:08 pm

Motion has taken the (unfortunate) step of performing lots of their magic in the MacOSX KERNEL memory-space under the auspices of a kernel process.

When something bad happens - like a memory resource error - not only does Motion crash - but it takes down the whole system.

Whereas, when an app and it's resources are all located in USER space - then when something bad happens, there's hope to recover - or, failing that, the app can crash - but NOT the whole system which is what happens with Motion.

This approach they've taken is really a sad situation and, unless they get out of KERNEL space and not do all their work in a kernel-process, this kind of nonsense is going to keep being a part of the Motion experience.

FWIW - The times I most often run into trouble are when I have something going on that uses almost all of the system RAM - and that's not hard to do - or when I am rapidly clicking around from viewing-area to viewing-area and it seems to get behind and lost in the updates.

HTH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]