FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help needed PLEASE!!!!!!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobbygiles
Help needed PLEASE!!!!!!
on Aug 29, 2006 at 8:59:18 pm

Hello evereyone this is my issue: After digitizng my downconverted Hd footage (shot on a varicam) in to final cut pro HD 5.? I then place my clip on the timeline cut and splice what I don't want off and then set In and Out points for that (1) clip and select the clip....i then goto file-send to- "Motion"Project.....The clip opens in motion..I add then add a couple filters.......I hit save in motion and click to open FCP and on the timeline is the clip with the filters added...sounds fine..not so.......I do this same process with about 5 or 6 indivual clips....Once that is done I took each clip I had added filters to and make a rough edit of all of these clips..... well wanting to add transitions between each clip (like Glow or somthing else that looks good in motion)..... I set my In and outs for the sequence of clips and select the sequence and goto file-send to- Motion Project .......when it arrive in motion the media is disconnected and nowhere to be found.....( All i get in my comp window is a checked background)....I returned back to FCP to possible redo the process and the "sequence of clips" that I sent to motion has the same checkered back ground........ what also is throwing me off is that the motion files of each individual clip are still in my browser and filters are still applied annnnnnddddd for each clip I added filter to in motion FCP also created a new sequence just for that one clip......I'm new and I'm lost and ANY insight and help would be "OFF THE CHAIN" (awesome)

Thanks Bobby

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Help needed PLEASE!!!!!!
on Aug 29, 2006 at 9:54:01 pm

I'm a bit confused... Could you do a set-by-step explanation of what you're doing? Right now it sounds like while you're in FCP you're trying to send a Motion file to Motion, instead of just Opening with Editor.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 29, 2006 at 9:56:48 pm

FYI- Motion ignores a lot of FCP filters and transitions so multiple round tripping, IMHO round tripping in general as it's currently implemented leaves room for improvement. I typically just run out uncompressed QuickTime back and forth on anything that's not super simple or with FCP filters and transitions.

Noah

Return to posts index

Bobbygiles
on Aug 29, 2006 at 10:24:04 pm

This is it step by step: Digitize footage in FCP, Bring individual clip onto Timeline, Set In and Out for the clip, select the clip, go to File - Send To - Motion Project ( a save page comes up and I save the clip and the computer opens Motion 2 (automatically) and places the clip in the comp. window, all the while FCP is still open, I add 2 filters in Motion 2 ( blur and vignette), then hit Save in motion, I click back onto the FCp Icon and the clip appears on the timeline with the filters that I added in Motion 2 (unrendered), after 5 or 6 of this same process with different clips, I then make a rough edit of all of the clips I have added filters to in Motion 2, I realize that I a want to do some glows as transitions between each clip in Motion 2, so I then set my In and Out points ( Im still in FCP) of the entire rough edit and then select each clip with in the in and out points on my timeline, I go to File - Send To - Motion Project, a Save window pops up and I save the rough edit of clips and the computer opens Motion 2 automatically, In my comp windoe all that appears is a checked red background and it shows that all of my media is dissconnected..... I totally lost but I know its somthing really simple I need to change or I need to go about doing this another way. thanks and any help would be "Pimp-Tight" (awesome)
thanks Bobby

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 31, 2006 at 5:03:22 pm

OK. I think I know what's going on. (If I'm wrong, someone please speak up. :)

When you get to the point of wanting to put glows between the clips as transitions, your selecting .motn project files (not .mov files) to send to Motion as one Motion file. I don't believe you can send a Motion project file into a new Motion project file. What I would do, is after you've applied the filters to the clips you have, and would export Full Rez, self-contained QuickTime files from motion. With those exported files, place them into a new timeline, and export that sequence to Motion. I know this adds an extra step, but it may be worth it. Plus, it'll save on render time.

Again, if anyone sees that I'm wrong on this speak up.

Hope this helps.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Return to posts index

Bobbygiles
on Aug 31, 2006 at 10:22:04 pm

Winston thank you, this way seems to work well. but one more question, do you know how to selective blur with out useing the variable blur filter.. What I want is for the talent to be in focus and everthing around and in the back ground of the actor to be blurred. Do you have any idea on what filter or what way of going about this would be best. Once again thanks-a-bunch
Bobby

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Sep 1, 2006 at 10:28:30 pm

Depending on how much movement your shot has, will determin how much work will go into this. Again, if someone knows a better way to do this, please speak up....

I'd have 2 layers of the same video, the bottom layer I would apply what ever blur filter I wanted, and the top layer I would apply a mask to. The mask would make the bottom layer visible, while keeping your main subject in tack. Now if you have lots of movements, there's going to be a great deal of keying involved, but that's where the "Record" button comes in handy with Motion.

I use a very similar work flow when in FCP, because we don't have some of the nicer plug-in's that allow you to have only one layer of video (which keeps your renders faster).

Hope this helps in down the right path. :)

Return to posts index

Bobbygiles
on Sep 2, 2006 at 12:45:51 am

Once again thanks Winston this will help me out a great bit.
Bobby

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Sep 3, 2006 at 12:49:40 am

No worries. Glad I could help you out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]