FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask to Shape

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston A. Cely
Mask to Shape
on Aug 22, 2006 at 7:41:06 pm

I searched and found a thread on how to use a shape as a mask, but what I'd like to do is make my mask a shape. Is there any quick way to convert or change the mask into a shape? Why? Because my original train of thought was to have a mask over a moving piece of footage, but I didn't like the results. I'd like to have the ability to do a gradient with a stroke around it, but you can't do that with masks. I know I could just create a shape that's just about the same as the mask, but it's inevitable that the shape won't be exactly the same and it'd be great if there was a short cut for this. If there is, and it's listed in the manual, just tell me the page and I'll find it myself (though I didn't find anything there). Thanks!

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Re: Mask to Shape
on Aug 24, 2006 at 6:18:48 am

Unfortunately, that function doesn't exist in Motion.
I imagine special case, a frequent visitor to these forums who wrote a little aplication which converts illustrator paths into Motion shapes, could write a script for that, maybe?
I totally feel your pain and remember I placed a feature request for that a long time ago. We should be able to convert, not just masks to shapes and viceversa, but also any of them to motion paths and viceversa. In motion design, the repetition of certain patterns is key. In this context, the ability to have an object move around the contour of another is very important, for example. Or have a masked object surrounded by equivalent shape, as you noticed.
All the best

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
http://www.adolforozenfeld.com
adolfo(AT)adolforozenfeld.com

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 25, 2006 at 7:14:07 pm

Very eloquently put.

Oh well... maybe the next version will have better repetitive functionality.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 25, 2006 at 9:00:31 pm

Let's hope so.
Meanwhile, what prevents you from doing it in the AE way? I mean, in AE when you need a "shape" you create mask in a Solid color layer. In this cases, is there a specific reason why you couldn't just copy your mask to a Color Solid generator object?

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 29, 2006 at 12:40:26 am

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. I don't use AE, so are you saying I could copy the Mask I made, and paste it on a Solid shape? In other words, let's say I made a greatest mask of all time, but I want to have all the controls that come with a shape (like adding a gradient and/or an outline) so I paste the mask on the shape. Will the controls that come with the shape still be usable with a mask? If my shape is a block, and the mask is an oval, with the line control go around the oval, or with it be cut away because of the shape?

BTW, thanks for your help on that other post I had on the Sequence Text behavior!

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 29, 2006 at 3:57:14 am

I didn't say a Solid shape but a Solid Color generator. Essentially, a plain rectangular object with solid color and same size as the project. It could also be a gradient (not a shape with gradient fill, but a specific gradient generator, similar to color solid but... a gradient!). So, while you can't turn a mask into a shape, you can copy and paste it to a solid or gradient object. Visually, the result is similar to a shape, because the solid or gradient generators would become masked. No outline, though. IMHO, Motion really needs an option to stroke the contour of masks, again, like AE does. And if AE does something, like it or not, it's a standard in motion graphics and a standard among motion graphics professionals :)
Anyway, a quick and easy way to copy a mask from one object to another is: make sure the Layers palette is visible, then option drag (this is, drag while holding the option key) from one object to the other. You could do copy and paste too, but option dragging is one step instead of two, right? :)
Hope this helps

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 29, 2006 at 5:26:00 pm

I see what you mean. Thanks for your help.

I agree about AE. I've got a good friend who actually teaches AE for the Art Institute in ATL. I suppose I should learn it at some point, but like I say, for the most part Motion, LiveType, or even Title 3D can accomplish the tasks I have encountered. It is slowly changing though, as I get deeper into graphics creation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]