FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Units

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
footagehead
Image Units
on Aug 16, 2006 at 3:51:55 pm

Can anybody point me to some documentation on Image Units?
This is the category below third party filters in the library tab.
All I can find in the manual are the filters...
Are they subunits of filters?
Are they part of the eternal undocumented secret mystery that is Motion 2?
My specific interest is in the image unit category called Distortion Effect.
Best regards to all fellow Motion explorers...

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Image Units
on Aug 16, 2006 at 5:16:37 pm

Heya,

Image Units are system-wide GPU filters that Apple included with Tiger (OS 10.4). You can read a marketing description here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

They are available to any program that supports the CoreImage API. Really, they are there for developers to incorporate into their own programs. I think Apple just needed somewhere to showcase them, so they show up in Motion. There are a few handy ones, though.

For a description of the filters and their parameters, check out http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/CoreImag...

Good luck!

Return to posts index

footagehead
on Aug 17, 2006 at 5:18:47 am

Many thanks specialcase.
I have downloaded the PDF from your second URL. It looks like I am being dragged kicking and screaming
into apple developer land. Being a big fan of your good tutorials I will post my results to you.
I somehow feel that Motion 3 is on its way after the announcement of Core Animation.

Best Regards

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Aug 17, 2006 at 4:26:14 pm

Yeah, I kinda feel bad for the Motion guys. Big Steve announced Core Image/Video at around the same time as Motion 1.0 was unveiled, so some people thought that that was all Motion was, even though it predated Core Image/Video. Core Animation is more for making it easier for developers to add OpenGL transforms and animation to their UIs than it is for high-quality output, I believe.

Time will tell, though ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]