FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper workflow for cable TV commercial

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon B745435
Proper workflow for cable TV commercial
on Aug 16, 2006 at 3:53:32 am

I am proud to say that I just landed my first cable TV commercial job (produce/direct/edit) and I can't seem to find the best way to export my Motion files so that I can edit / print to tape from FCP.
I just have a .jpg image (client logo) spinning / growing to the center of the screen in front of a .mov file background (Motion stock footage), and the final segment that shows the viewer how to order, etc. (with client's .jpg images).

It looks fantastic in Motion but every time I export the file it does not look very good in FCP. I have exported as a Quicktime file (30mb, poor quality), MPEG-2/6.2mbps/2-pass/4:3/m2v file (only 3.6mb but surprisingly better than quicktime file), and 10-bit uncompressed NTSC.mov file (239mb - excellent when viewed in QT, but weak image quality in FCP.

I need to find the best way to use the graphics that I have been provided (all .jpg images, and the tools already in Motion) and provide something that I can output to DVD (the cable station can use this to convert to their preferred media -- I believe it's beta). Or I can Print to Tape in FCP to mini-DV and have copy house transfer to beta for me. Either way, how can I get the most from what I've got to use??

Incidentally, I'm shooting video footage in mini-dv, but have an HDV camera. I suppose since I'm not mastering in HDV that it doesn't make much sense shooting in this format as I'd have to output in 4:3. Is there any benefit to shooting in HDV and downconverting, and then finally outputting in NTSC DV?

Any help is much appreciated!

G5 QuadCore
FCP Studio HD

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Proper workflow for cable TV commercial
on Aug 16, 2006 at 2:39:22 pm

Use the lossless preset. Or simply import the Motion project as a clip in FCP. Also make sure that the resolution/frame rate of your Motion project matches that of your FCP project.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jon B745435
on Aug 16, 2006 at 5:16:39 pm

Thanks.
How do I set the Motion project so that it is on "lossless" preset?
What's the easiest way to confirm/setup my frame-rate & resolution in Motion?

Sorry for all these elementary questions but I've had FCP Studio for about a year and never needed Motion before this opportunity...

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 16, 2006 at 7:06:15 pm

You'll see the Lossless preset when you go to Export. When you create a New project you get the presets for frame size, etc.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]