FORUMS: list search recent posts

animating characters

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
animating characters
on Aug 4, 2006 at 3:19:01 am

In Motion, is it possible to animate or add behaviors to individual characters within a block of text? Did a quick search of previous posts and didn't find an answer.

Thanks,

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Miss Shell
Re: animating characters
on Aug 4, 2006 at 4:12:09 am

From what I've experienced, you have to make each letter/section that you want a different colour/behaviour etc on, a different text layer. You can do individual behaviours/colours etc within one layer in LiveType though.

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 4, 2006 at 8:10:37 am

Motion has a far more powerful and practical approach for controlling individual characters. In fact, Motion's text animation engine was designed as a response paradigm to that kind of need. Instead of allowing you to select specific characters, it gives you a tool that allows you to do that, among other options. Basically, you can dinamically control, vary and animate over time which characters (or whole words or lines) are subject to transformations and which ones are not.
The way you do this is by using the Sequence Text behavior. That behavior has two main sections, you could say - one for adding and/or removing text attributes (anything you can imagine), and the other is a very powerful set of options to control which characters are affected by those transformations. In fact, you can take all other Motion text behaviors as examples of things you can do yourself if you take the time to learn the Text Sequence Behavior. They are just presets for it. It's well explained in Motion's manual.
All the best!

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
http://www.adolforozenfeld.com
adolfo(AT)adolforozenfeld.com

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 15, 2006 at 11:09:15 pm

Very frustrating. I know it should be easy but I don't understand the Sequence Text at all. All I want to do is make my second line of text slanted and keep the first line straight, but it won't let me. No matter what, the whole thing gets affected. The only way around this, that I've found is to make a second line of text on a separate layer. A pain in the neck.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 22, 2006 at 2:44:09 am

Ok, Winston.
Sorry for the delay in the response. For some reason the Cow forums stopped sending me e-mail notifications of posts. Go figure :)

You can think of the Sequence Text behavior as a raw building block, the template Apple used to produce most text animation presets in Motion.

It has two main interface areas, In the first one, the upper part (Format), you add or remove text parameters: whatever you want, scale, fill color, position, tracking, opacity, glow size, color or position, etc.

The second part (Sequence Control) offers a lot of ways to select which parts of the text body are affected and which ones are not. Of course you can animate the behavior, so that the "affected" part changes over time. That's essentially what most text presets do (sometimes combined with other effects).

Ok, so let's see with the example you mentioned.

Create some text. Make sure it has at least two lines, since that's what you wanted.
Go and apply the Sequence Text behavior to it.

Now, you wanted a slant effect. So, in the upper part of the behavior, press the Add pull-down menu and select Format > Slant.
Assign a value to slant. You will notice the whole text changes.

You want to limit the slant to the second line.
No problem. In the lower part, notice the Select drop down menu. It offers options like character, word, line, etc. Line is exactly what you want, right?
Now, the last thing letting it know which line you want to affect.

The Traversal option is by default set to "Ramp", which means that it will automatically increase the value and go from line 1 to line 2 to line 3, etc (same for characters or words, if you choose those in the Select option), You want to set Traversal to Custom. After that, it will allow you to choose the specific line you want.

One last thing: there's a parameter called Spread. If you're familiar with "feather" in visual applications, this is the equivalent. It means the influence is not sharp edged, but feathered... You want to set Spread to 0 if you would like that only the second line is affected.
Hope this helps.
Much easier to do than to explain, since the whole proceess (like most things in Motion) is really visual.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 25, 2006 at 10:43:33 pm

Thanks! It really did help. Sometimes I can't really follow the Apple Help Guide, and I have to have someone break it down to me.

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

Adolfo Rozenfeld
on Aug 29, 2006 at 4:00:21 am

It's completely understandable. Motion has an innovative paradigm for animating text. It's very powerful and, while not "hard" (it makes easily taks that used to be really hard), for good and for bad it's unlike almost anything else. So it takes a little effort to learn to think like it :)

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]