FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion is a big pile of crap

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris lambert
motion is a big pile of crap
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:19:23 pm

I can never get an alpha channel out of this piece of junk. it always renders a straight alpha channel no matter what settings I use. for image sequences it doesn't even render an alpha even though i tell it to. this is a problem i've always had with Motion, and on 3 different computers so it's not just mine. and when I bring the motion file file into FCP it doesn't see that alpha either. I 've used AE, Photoshop, FCP, 3dMAX, Combustion, and lots of other prgrams for many years now andnever had any problems with alphas. It's completely ridiculous that apple can't fix this crap.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: motion is a big pile of crap
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:55:27 pm

[chris lambert] "It's completely ridiculous that apple can't fix this crap."

And it's completely ridiculous that you can't figure out how to properly get an Alpha Channel with Motion. If this didn't work, I wouldn't have been able to deliver all my projects over the past 2 years. I use Motion almost daily to generate particles, titles and motion graphics for insertion in After Effects and FCP projects.

Be sure to set up for Quicktime + Alpha when you're ready to export. Apple's product is fine, this sounds like a classic case of Operator Error or not reading the manual.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Director, "The Rough Cut"
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now Posting "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Jun 13, 2006 at 11:52:43 pm

Hey Chris,

I just rendered out a TGA sequence that has an intact alpha (premultiplied with black). Were you using an image format (for the sequence) that doesn't support alpha?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 14, 2006 at 5:00:12 pm

Or are you just frustrated because you can't get it to work? Tell the truth....

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 15, 2006 at 1:32:59 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Or are you just frustrated because you can't get it to work? Tell the truth...."

I believe you've hit this one right on the head.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

ScottGfx
on Jun 15, 2006 at 5:56:00 am

Quote: "I can never get an alpha channel out of this piece of junk."

*Sarcasm Alert* Yeah, right away I want to help you out. Perhaps you could try starting out on a more positive note next time.

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jun 15, 2006 at 10:41:51 pm

I'm disappointed in it after I spent two days trying to get a layered Photoshop file to work. After saving and rendering, any subsequent edits to the motion file caused all of the layers to get mixed up (not the order, but the actual content in the layers). I searched the posts here and at Apple and the consensus seems to be that this feature is not well implemented. I concur.

Now I'm trying to create a simple text build totally in Motion (I'm using reveal from left effect). After render a glitch frame appears as each motion layer is revealed.

I had to resort to exporting the file from Motion instead of rendering in FCP. So much for the round trip concept.

But hey, it does a great job of animating stills and for creating lower third supers.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 15, 2006 at 10:49:10 pm

[Lee Berger] "Now I'm trying to create a simple text build totally in Motion (I'm using reveal from left effect). After render a glitch frame appears as each motion layer is revealed.

I had to resort to exporting the file from Motion instead of rendering in FCP. So much for the round trip concept."

I build dozens of these text reveals monthly, never have a glitch frame or anything like that as multiple layers are revealed. I build DV, DVCPro HD, and 8 Bit NTSC titles with Motion and never see anything like that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jun 16, 2006 at 10:38:04 am

Walter:
Thanks for your feedback.

I revisited this issue and interestingly enough the bad frames (actually a field) went away when I changed the text animation behavior from "Sequence Text In from Left" to "Blur Fade In." Perhaps there's something in that Behavior that FCP doesn't like because the issue did not occur when I exported a movie directly from Motion. Also I noticed that even without rendering the error would show up in FCP as you scrubbed the unrendered clip.

Lee

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 16, 2006 at 11:37:05 am

[Lee Berger] "Also I noticed that even without rendering the error would show up in FCP as you scrubbed the unrendered clip."

Is motion set up in the correct field order for what you're doing?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Jun 16, 2006 at 11:59:26 am

Yes, I'm working in DV so in the project preferences the field order is set to "lower."

Return to posts index

mortimer heathcliff
on Jun 23, 2006 at 5:43:10 pm

...and you are a poopy pants head face.

nanny nanny nanny.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

Return to posts index

chris lambert
It's not operator error - did you not read my post or do you have comprehension difficulties?
on Jun 24, 2006 at 11:28:36 pm

I know all about alpha channels - I know to set it to Quicktime + Alpha - I know which file formats can handle alpha channels - I teach FCP, Photoshop, and 3dsMax classes - and if i didn't know all about these things, I wouldn't be able to use numerous other programs for 5 years and never have a problem - which is what i said in my post - so if you'd read my post and acutally think about it, you wouldn't post stupid crap like "set it to Quicktime + Alpha" - all the settings are correct - the piece of crap doesn't work. And if you knew what you were talking about you also wouldn't post "it works on my computer". I have no doubt that it works on your computer, my point is that it doesn't work on mine. you're a moron if you think that the fact it works on yours proves that it works on mine. buggy software doesn't always produce errors that are replicatable on other computers, buggy software produces random errors that occur at random and for no good reason. Now excuse me, I have to go figure out why Motion doesn't update my Photoshop files, and Reconnect media isn't easy to find (ie option click on file, or in Menus).

Return to posts index

MissDivaGirl
Re: It's not operator error - did you not read my post or do you have comprehension difficulties?
on Jun 27, 2006 at 7:07:53 pm

I couldn't help but read this entire thread and find myself with my jaw open in amazement at not only the initial post from Chris but his last one as well.

Chris, my question to you is this... How in the world could you possibly expect help and ask for it by with such a negative attitude? This forum, along with all the others, are here to help us troubleshoot and learn. Is there anything at all anyone could have said that would have changed your mind about Motion being crap? Sounds like you already have your mind made up about the program and just voicing your opinion of how Motion sucks because you cannot achieve an alpha channel. Does your project require Motion? Couldn't you use one of them "many" other programs you know to achieve your goal and prevent you from posting such negative CRAP on this forum? We all have trouble and wierd things that only happen to us and no one else....

Remember.. it is all in the approach. When you come off arrogant and know it all, then people are less likely to help you and more likely to analyze you.

I will be surprised if anyone actually offers you a solution to your problem after your last post. Good luck on figuring it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]