FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP - credit roll via motion+PSD/TIFF = bad quality

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin
HELP - credit roll via motion+PSD/TIFF = bad quality
on May 9, 2006 at 4:39:37 am

can anyone help me? Perhaps it's a limitation of motion - hopefully not though....

I have a HUGE photoshop file 1920x12000. The idea is to roll it in motion (which handles it really well on my QUAD g5).

Problem is that the quality is quite bad.

If I bring in a 1920x1080 card it is sharp and exactly as it should be. The credit roll file - done exactly same as the smaller card, comes in at a lower resolution.

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: HELP - credit roll via motion+PSD/TIFF = bad quality
on May 9, 2006 at 5:07:44 am

Hey Justin,

At 12000 pixels tall, your image file is too big for your GPU to handle. ATI graphics cards are limited to 2K textures, while Nvidia ones can go to 4K. A better explanation can be found here: http://www.motionsmarts.com/tutorials/nutsandbolts/sizematters.html

You can work around this by splitting the credit roll image up into a few tiles and then sequencing them.

Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

Justin
on May 9, 2006 at 11:31:11 am

Thx for the repl Specialcase - I think you are right...

The PSD layers were too large - by cutting it up into smaller pieces it is high res again....

So FYI for others - you can use a HUGE PS file - just need to ensure each layer is a max of 4000pixels... I think... :)

SO just to confirm each 'layer/clip' can be a max of 4000pixel by 4000pixel or in my case 1920x4000 pixels?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on May 9, 2006 at 5:48:37 pm

Heya,

Images or objects (like text, particles, etc.) will be limited to the largest texture your graphics card can draw. On a system with an ATI card, it's a 2048x2048 limit, and 4096x4096 on a system with an Nvidia card.

Since you saw a quality improvement when dropping below 4K, I would surmise that you have an Nvidia card.

Return to posts index

Justin
on May 9, 2006 at 8:34:31 pm

That's correct special case- nvidia 6600 I believe...

Just one Q... and it's more out of curiosity than anything else - but could apple not have done something where 'overflows' IE larger parts use the cpu?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]