FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Cards Question

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thirtysevenclick
Video Cards Question
on May 3, 2006 at 10:15:59 pm

I have a G5 1.8DP with 3G RAM and I'm looking to upgrade my video card for use with After Effects and Motion. I've scrolled through previous posts on the subject, researched the test sites, etc. I've narrowed it down to three options:
- Nvidia 6800
- ATI X800
- Radeon 9800

The 6800 and X800 seem comprable, but the price for the X800 is somewhat less. I'm looking at the 9800 b/c of the S-VHS out. I run a monitor through a camera right now, but I'd like to find another solution. Unfortunately, I can't spring for a deck or an AJA device.

Any advice? I work primarily with DV, but, lately, HD has grown into the picture. I wish I had all the money in the world, but I'm looking for a solution that will maximize my compositing speed at a reasonable price.

Apologies for the vague explanation. Hopefully, someone will have experience with my situation.

Best,
Tobin

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Video Cards Question
on May 3, 2006 at 10:30:38 pm

x800 is the best value if you don't intend to run a 30" Cinema Display. Also, ATI was offering a $50 rebate to North American users who upgrade to an x800 and turn in their old video card.

If you want to get a 30" CD then get the nVidia.

If you're planning on using Motion a lot, stay away from the Radeon 9800--not enough horsepower.

You should also look into a firewire DV to analog converter box to run the monitor.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 3, 2006 at 10:31:21 pm

[thirtysevenclick] "I'm looking at the 9800 b/c of the S-VHS out. I run a monitor through a camera right now, but I'd like to find another solution. Unfortunately, I can't spring for a deck or an AJA device."

You can't run full quality video through the 9800 to a video monitor and use that for your NTSC monitoring. You need a video card or an AJA Io type of device.

If you're looking for very fast performance on the Mac with Motion, look at the ATI x800XT if it fits into your Mac. Faster than the x800 and doesn't take up two slots like the nVidia 6800. I run both the 6800 and the x800XT here and speeds are basically identical.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Director, "The Rough Cut"
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now Posting "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on May 8, 2006 at 11:58:37 pm

So I just got an X800XT to replace the 9800 Pro. I see very little difference. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I've got 2 20" displays both running at 1680x1050. Plus, 4.5 Gigs of RAM under the hood (which we'll be maxing out to 8 gigs in the coming months). I think the one thing I do notice is that if I run the flurry screensaver, I don't see the screen being painted as much.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 11, 2006 at 1:38:22 pm

Running two displays with Motion splits the VRAM on the graphics card in half and impacts performance - try disabling one of the displays.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Editor/Producer
Apple-certified instructor, FCP, DVDSP and Motion
Author, Motion Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on May 11, 2006 at 8:05:22 pm

I guess that Explains why Motion runs quite slow on my machine, even though I have the x800xt. I am running 2 24" Dell LCDs. I'm going to try disabling one of them. Is there an easy way to do this without climbing under my desk and unplugging one?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 14, 2006 at 2:46:43 pm

Unplugging the monitor won't stop the VRAM split - you need to disable it with the card's interface, usually available in system prefs.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Editor/Producer
Apple-certified instructor, FCP, DVDSP and Motion
Author, Motion Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Winston Cely
on May 12, 2006 at 1:02:44 am

I had tried that with the last card, and didn't see any change. I am, however, going to try that again this weekend. Would lowering my monitors resolution have any noticeable effect on performance?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on May 3, 2006 at 11:14:59 pm

Heya,

All other things being equal, don't forget that ATI cards are limited to 2048x2048, so larger images can get cropped. Nvidia cards allow for 4096x4096, which gives you more breathing room.

And believe me, it's easy to hit that 2K limit on even standard def work.

Good luck with your purchase!

Return to posts index

anne pascal
on May 25, 2006 at 1:11:49 pm

Dear Tobin,
I am about to buy a X800XT to replace a 9600 (64MB):I have one new 20 inch display and one old ADC as the 2nd display.So from you experience, does it make Motion 2 go quicker in realtime playback or not???

Thanks

Anne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]