FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wobbling text

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Digital Mercenary
Wobbling text
on May 2, 2006 at 4:14:56 pm

I have a slight problem. I have a list of text that writes on as it pulls back to reveal the full list. The font is Futura Light (as specified by the client) and during the animation the text appears to "wobble" back and forth, especially toward the end of the 5 second animation. I can see this in NTSC as well on my monitor. I am using an AJA IO for preview. I have changed the outline on the font from 1pt to 15pt with the same effect. During the RAM playback I noticed that the "straight lines" (that are more visible due to the very thick border) of the project seem to wobble the most. I have tried changing the field order to Upper and None with no noticeable effect. It seems to me that this would be the problem. I have also tried a different, bolder font with the same results. I have also tried to change the View setting to show Field Rendering. This makes the scan lines more evident but doesn't get rid of the problem.

I even tried taking a break and drinking some whiskey but that didn't help. However, I have not counted that solution out entirely.

I have uploaded the clip to our website. It's 27mb (it's the original, Lossless + Alpha) 15sec. Here is a link to the clip:

http://www.fluid-images.com/lame/company_list.mov

Thanks in advance,
Reuben

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: Wobbling text
on May 2, 2006 at 5:13:36 pm

I'm surprised that the whiskey didn't help. Perhaps you weren't using a big enough glass? ;)

My 1st, knee jerk guess (w/o having bothered to look at the file) is that your font is too thin. Try making it bold, & see if that helps. Then you'll have to explain interlace flicker to your client & talk him into using a thicker version of that Futura font.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

Digital Mercenary
on May 2, 2006 at 5:39:23 pm

Thank you for the suggestion...

I changed the Futura font to a medium size and then used the Scale parameter in the text options to make this animation. I exported it using Lossless + Alpha and rendered it into FCP.

Here are the results:

http://www.fluid-images.com/lame/really_bad.mov

It has been compressed for Web and QT7 (H.264). 1.3mb, 7sec.

I am not sure how this "effect" is happening. It looks as though it's a program error instead of a settings error? This is more of an extreme example of what is happening to other animations as well...

Not only am I going to need a bigger whiskey glass, I am going to need a bigger bottle.

Thanks
Reuben

Return to posts index

specialcase
on May 2, 2006 at 7:42:07 pm

Heya,

Do you have any filters applied to the text object? It looks as though you're getting jiggle (a highly technical term) because the object's size is changing as each character gets added. Position values in Motion are relative, so if an object or layer is changing size, filters that have centerpoints can start jiggling as the relative center changes. Nesting the object in a layer and then enabling Fixed Resolution for the layer will lock down the layer size, thus avoiding the problem.

If that is the problem, of course.

Give it a shot. Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

Digital Mercenary
on May 2, 2006 at 8:33:06 pm

Yes I have a Basic 3D filter applied to the Text with a -13

Return to posts index

specialcase
on May 2, 2006 at 9:26:02 pm

Heya,

You have the right idea: apply the filter to the layer that has Fixed Rez enabled. Sorry, I left that bit out :) Your problem is almost certainly a result of changing layer size caused by the text sequencing. The Basic 3D filter keeps getting different scales, so it wobbles.

For a better explanation, check out the first section of this: http://www.motionsmarts.com/tutorials/nutsandbolts/fixedres.html

Return to posts index

Digital Mercenary
on May 2, 2006 at 9:29:41 pm

IT WORKED!

Whiskey for everybody!

Yessssssss.

Thanks for everything!

-Reuben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved