FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Export for Avid

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
VJROOK
Motion Export for Avid
on Apr 30, 2006 at 1:38:12 pm

I work in a house that uses both a FCP editing station and a Media Composer. I've been having trouble finding a way to get my motion projects into the Avid. It seems no matter which way I export my project (usually a keyable logo) and no matter which way I import it into the Avid (inverted, straight), I can't get the graphic to work right. Has anyone done this before? Any advice?

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
Re: Motion Export for Avid
on May 10, 2006 at 11:21:39 pm

One potential problem is that Avids (media composer range not DS) expect to deal with straight alpha images. Motion always exports premultiplied on black and there isn't the option to set it to straight.

If you import a premultiplied source into Avid you'll see black fringing around the graphic. Is that the effect you're seeing?

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

bionicTechnophobe
Re: Motion Export for Avid
on May 12, 2006 at 1:02:05 pm

the settings i use for a Media Composer are:

-D1 Resolution 740x486
-29.97 fps
-upper field first
-straight matte

the first three options will be set in your project properties pane (command-j).
you'll have to uncheck the "premultiply alpha" box when exporting to get straight matting.
you should also check "field rendering" in that same export window (and motion blur, if your animation needs it).

i'll usually export using the Animation codec, but often transcode into Avid ABVB using AVR77 quality setting. (one of my client's media composer is a pre-G3 PowerMac, and import times for Animation clips are SLOW).

If your editing system has different specs, then make sure that your Motion project properties match the specs expected by your system.

cheers!
-robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]