FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with DPX files in Apple Motion or Adobe AE

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iesilver
Working with DPX files in Apple Motion or Adobe AE
on Mar 31, 2006 at 11:31:26 pm

We're considering the possiblity of finishing some of our vfx shots in editoral, rather than rely upon a facility. To do so, we would need to import material shot using the VIper, in film stream mode (the footage was captured onto HDCAM SR 4:4:4, 10 bit, uncompressed - because there is no video signal processing, the image has green cast to it.). From what I understand, we would receive 1920x1080 DPX files. My question is, can either Motion or Adobe AE work with these types of files, and export them as well?

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Working with DPX files in Apple Motion or Adobe AE
on Apr 3, 2006 at 7:02:57 pm

Heya,

After Effects supports the Cineon-flavored FIDO/DPX flavors, as does Shake. AE7 now has support for full 32-bit float, so you can probably do a pretty smooth log->lin conversion from 10bit-log into 32bit-linear space. Motion supports OpenEXR as a 32-bit format, but not FIDO/DPX. If you want to work in/with Motion, you could export your 32bit-converted images from AE as OpenEXR images and use that for round-tripping.

My experience with this stuff is based on film-scanned DPX files, but my understanding is that Thomson wanted the Viper's DPX output to be as similar to scanned film as possible.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

dcullipher
Re: Working with DPX files in Apple Motion or Adobe AE
on May 5, 2006 at 7:47:42 pm

If you use a black magic decklink card you can use Framelink which mounts the DPX files as a quicktime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]