FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: H.264 playback

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SeanRL
OT: H.264 playback
on Mar 22, 2006 at 9:27:56 pm

I'm posting this as there are a number of very helpful people here...

Basically the issue I have is that when I play H.264 compressed quicktime movies (HD) from my internal SATA hard drive I get 'shivering' playback i.e. it looks like while the movie advances someone is quickly scrubbing back and forth.

One example file I have: H.264, 1264 x 720, FPS 24.57. The files were saved from Apple's quicktime HD content online. When the movies were streamed originally they didn't do this.

Sean

Return to posts index

SeanRL
Re: OT: H.264 playback
on Mar 22, 2006 at 9:30:11 pm

My system specs:

2.5 Dual G5 w/1.5 Gigs RAM
OS 10.3.9

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 22, 2006 at 9:41:11 pm

Probably your data rate is too high either for the hard drive or your video card. To play back that sort of material properly you need a raid and a high end graphics card or better something like a Blackmagic or Kona card. I'd suggest bumping down the H264 data rate quite a bit.

Noah

Return to posts index

SeanRL
on Mar 23, 2006 at 4:00:07 am

Thanks Noah.

This is a great computer and I have no regrets with the purchase, but I do recall reading an Apple statement that this G5 can handle 10 streams of uncompressed video at once. What was Apple referring to when they made that statement? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2006 at 5:56:41 am

The specs I mentioned above would be required. Not sure where you read that as with stock gear. No g5 would do 10 streams of H264 anyway as it's hugely computationally complex.

Noah

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Mar 24, 2006 at 1:01:09 am

Problem is that H.264 is _NOT_ uncompressed. It takes heavi calculus to decode the files. The HD/RAID is hardly the problem, but you'll need a lot of RAM, a good buffering setting and a fast computer to playback heavy h.264 files.

It's actually a lot easier to playback uncompressed material, if you have the disk and system throughput to keep up with the raw dataflow.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]