FORUMS: list search recent posts

gradients in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
gradients in Motion
on Mar 18, 2006 at 5:57:13 pm

This is do doubt a dumb question, nonetheless... I know you'll be merciful...
I am trying to simply customize a linear gradient. I've assigned the color spread, yet can't find a control in the inspector that will allow me to make the gradient more or less subtle. Right now I'm basically getting a diagonal gradient that changes too suddenly from one shade to the next. The manual talks about a "location slider" which is what I need. I'm just not seeing it anywhere.... I'm running Motion 2.0.1
Thanks!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.03, OS X10.4.3

Return to posts index

Bill McGuire
Re: gradients in Motion
on Mar 19, 2006 at 3:41:38 am

Open your gradient arrow and double click on one of the squares at the bottom of your gradient, It will bring up the color circle. Also, control click on the bottom ribbon of your gradient line. It will add control points on your gradient line.

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:37:09 am

The location slider becomes available when you select one of the color control points on the gradient editor. You can also click and drag any of the control points to adjust the distance between them.

Also, when a control point is selected, a small "bias" indicator should appear between the selected point and the points directly next to it. Normally the bias setting as at 50%, meaning it's halfway between the colors and the gradient is as smooth and even as possible. By sliding the bias point towards one color or the other you can make the transition more abrupt from that color.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:54:31 pm

Thanks guys. After poking around a bit more I found that perhaps I'm confusing (in the library) creating a gradient from the "generator" category as opposed to the gradient options in the "image units" category. Since I wanted a diagonal gradient I chose the "linear gradient" from the "image units" category. Doing so, I don't get the options that Jim spoke of. When I create a gradient using the the gradient option in the generator category I can control he colors like I want, but it's not diagonal! I hate to clutter this forum with dumb questions, but when I look up "image units" in the on line manual "0 results found".
Hope I've been clear enough. It sure sounds more convoluted in writing than in practice!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.03, OS X10.4.3

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:45:13 pm

Kim,

What are you using the gradient for?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:54:09 pm

It's just a full screen background slate for a simple title. So the only other element is text..

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 5:02:46 pm

I thought so.

Instead of a library item, create a solid rectangle the size of the project and change the fill to a gradient. You can then use the gradient editor in the shape's inspector to customize the gradient to your exact needs.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Mar 21, 2006 at 5:24:53 pm

Thanks Jim, think of it this way... dumb questions like this give you material for your training sessions...Thanks too for the great DMTS Motion 2 tutorial which I bought (but I guess you now have evidence that I haven't finished working through it.) I must say that I really love Motion, and generally enjoy myself with it.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 5:29:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words. It's the type of feedback that helps ensure quick responses! ;^)

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]