FORUMS: list search recent posts

real time output with ram preview in motion to broadcast monitor

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Squires
real time output with ram preview in motion to broadcast monitor
on Mar 18, 2006 at 2:36:34 am

I am trying to output my animation, (PAL widescreen format)to a broadcast monitor and consistently get 24 to 25 fps rather than a locked 25fps. I am using the Black magic decklink SD card to output. I find that the only way to approach it is to hide the timeline and deselect everything.Even so at the start of the animation it takes a few goes from 20 through to 25 to get up to speed as it were. Is this right or am I missing something? The workflow in After Effects is much more intuitive and gives consistent fps.I am using 10.4.2 so this may make a difference. I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the only aspect of Motion that bugs me and to be honest is something that should be possible. Should the ram preview be set to render to the black magic codec?

regards

Richard Squires

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: real time output with ram preview in motion to broadcast monitor
on Mar 18, 2006 at 3:46:58 am

Heya Richard,

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. The broadcast preview feature has never been touted as guaranteed realtime, frame-accurate playback. I head that the video output is being routed through Quicktime, so that may be causing just enough lag to mess up your framerate, even with the results cached in RAM.

Return to posts index

Richard Squires
on Mar 19, 2006 at 10:11:23 pm

hmmmm. Realtime output on computer, not realtime on a broadcast monitor. That's why Motion for the moment is a hobby not a production tool.

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:43:20 am

Hmmm, all the networks, television stations and production companies that I train to use Motion consider it a very powerful broadcast production tool.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Richard Squires
on Mar 20, 2006 at 11:28:30 pm

Hi Jim

If you can enlighten me on how to get uninterrupted real time ram previews with Motion, with Pal material I would be very grateful. I realise "hobby" is a bit harsh, and Motion has many virtues, but fps consistency ain't one of them.

regards

Richard

Return to posts index

Richard Squires
on Mar 20, 2006 at 11:38:52 pm

I have just done a test and sure enough, NTSC works fine. I used one of the lower 3rd templates, and this outputs to the monitor fine. There is occasional fps changing between 29 and 30 so the fps isn't consistent, but it appears fine. The Pal template doesn't fare so well, going down to 21 at some stages, but still bouncing between 24 and 25. So this is the reason I would say that Motion is not broadcast ready for PAL material.

In the US people forget that there are any other formats aside from NTSC. I know I worked there for 2 years.

regards

Richard

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Mar 20, 2006 at 4:19:37 pm

AE doesn't always give you RT preview to your broadcast monitor or your desktop, either. Perhaps that's just a "hobby", as well?

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

Richard Squires
on Mar 20, 2006 at 11:24:27 pm

Consistently with Motion I find myself reluctantly returning to After Effects. Indeed at the moment I have a problem with text animation where the text loses it's tracking values when I put a random motion to explode the text. Why does this happen? I have been using After Effects for roughly 7 years and it has improved dramatically in terms of being a production tool. I don't think Motion is in the same league ( obviously it's a young program in comparison), but I desperately want to use it, because there are things about it that beat After Effects hands down.

However I don't know what system you are running but I get consistent 25 fps ram previews in AE on my dual g5 with 720x576 comps. In version 7 there are slight anomalies if you don't have the correct frame size, but in general I can trust what I am seeing to be fps accurate. This is not the case with Motion, where you have to deselect everything, and hide the timeline, to get anywhere near an uninterrupted frame rate. Perhaps you are using NTSC and that is why you get better frame rates. This is not the case with PAL. And without a broadcast monitor output that is fps accurate the application isn't broadcast ready in my opinion. Maybe "hobbyist" was a bit harsh, but although I use Motion for certain things, I wouldn't finish stuff on it. I find the renderings slightly fuzzy and not as good quality wise as After Effects.

My intention was not to trash Motion and as I have stated I really do like it's workflow. It's just frustrating at times and the fps thing just hobbles it in my opinion.

regards

Richard

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 1:34:53 am

I was under the impression that where full rate NTSC is 30 fps, PAL is 25 fps. Am I mistaken?

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Richard Squires
on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:14:43 am

Sorry. I was talking frame rate accuracy. When I output to a broadcast monitor I don't get locked 25 fps or 30 fps. I have tried both NTSC and PAL and neither play without dropping either to 29 fps in NTSC or between 21 and 25 fps PAL.

I gave up on Motion and went back to After Effects. As soon as you try to edit Motions effects they act very strangely. Must be something I am doing wrong but managed in a very short time to replicate what I was doing in AE. Which is a shame as I really like the simulation effects in Motion.

regards

Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]