FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you create these effects in Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drarsky
How do you create these effects in Motion?
on Mar 17, 2006 at 6:33:29 pm

Hi there, I have 2 effects I would love to find a tutourial on to create in Motion.
First, I have been using a tutorial I found here on the cow to make a the CSI MIami Intro "Glass Effect", the probelm is it is an after effects tutorial called "creating a glassy look" by Colin James. http://www.creativecow.net/articles/james_colin/glass/index.html
I would like to make this same thing but in Motion. Does any one know if this is possible? I know one of the templates in motion has what they call "glass" but it is not beveled and does not change the magnification and slant like the After effects glass.

Second, I would like to create a Draw on Effect in Motion. not a type on, but draw on. and I would like there to be a glow with it. Does anyone have a tutorial for this? I have been looking and cannot find any good tutorial for motion. I know the program well enough to follow a complicated tutorial, but can't find any. oh, here is the look i am thinking of http://www.trapcode.com/movies/electric.mov

I am begining to get frustrated that I can find everything I want to create for AFter effects and nothing for Motion. the problem is I do not know AE that well, and my work only has purchased Motion. Is anyone usinng Motion for advanced effects? Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: How do you create these effects in Motion?
on Mar 20, 2006 at 2:00:42 am

1. You can make any text or lines (or most shapes, for that matter) appear to be "drawn on" by animating masks to reveal the shapes over time.

2. The CCOW tutorial relies on 3D compositing capabilities that are part of After Effects but not yet part of Motion (sure hope that they're added to a future version), It is possible (through animated layers, masking and effects), to simulate similar effects in Motion.

You should look at the basic 3D filter in Motion 2 to create the scaling and shearing (slanting) effects, and you can also use the standard layer properties Scale and Four Corner. There is a Bevel filter as well.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Mar 20, 2006 at 3:38:02 pm

thanks for the help, do you know of any tutorials that explain the revealing masks over time? I have the plummer and damion book (i ahve gone trhough all of the plummer ans obly some of the damion). I am knew to this program but have the basic concepts, but possibly a good tutorial will help me. ANy suggestions? IF not I will begin playing! thanks for taking the time to reply!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 5:06:22 pm

An Image Mask uses any object that is a shape drawn inside Motion or imported as a clip with an alpha channel.

All you have to do us animate the object that the mask is using to animate the mask.

The other choice is to draw a mask on the object and animate the vertices (control points) that define the mask shape.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 12, 2006 at 10:16:02 pm

Hello dransky

Were you able to successfully translate the Glass Effect tutofrial to Motion 2 ?

I thought I'd better ask if this is actually possible with motion before I continue.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:03:14 pm

no I wasn't. But I did not try too hard, I ran out of time on the project I was working on and just left out the glass effect I wanted. I still would love to figure this out to use in future projects, but I am still pretty new to Motion and have not figured out allthe tricks yet. I took the motion training class but it was super basic. If you have tim eto play and figure out this effect please let me know! as of now if I had time to ass that affect to my proj. I would probably default to After Effects since I have a tutorial to use. If someday I get this effect I will post it :)
good luck!

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 25, 2006 at 4:38:48 pm

Hello drarsky

Ok, I was able to at least get something that resembles a pane of glass passing over a clip.

First I needed to understand that a comp in AE is a Layer in Motion and that a layer in AE is essentially an Object in Motion. (sorry if that is simply stating the obvious)

I went ahead and created the Glass Effect comp as described in the tutorial. I used a Basic 3D filter to "spin" the color solids on the Y axis. I then imported my footage and duplicated it. I applied an Image Mask to the duplicate and dropped the Glass Effect layer in the image well. I also added a Glass Distortion, Refraction, and Gaussian Blur to the duplicated object. All this is in the top Layer with Blend Mode set to Combine. The original clip is contained in a second layer with the blend mode also set to combine.

It doesn't look very good at this point but it is at least a start. If anyone else has any insight as to how to improve upon this basic concept or an alternative way of going about creating this effect I would sincerely appreciate your input.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:09:05 pm

one more thing, I did play with the 3d and bevel effect as mentioned earlier, but what I want to create is the "magnification" effect that aftereffects does. If you watch the open to CSI Miami you will see the diffrent panes of glass magnify diffrently over each image, some magnify really large and some just ever so sllightly, this is what is missing from motion that I cannot figure out. oh and on the last post I meant to put the word "add" not ass, hehe I am a terrible typer :)

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 13, 2006 at 12:00:27 am

Hi drarsky

Ok, well I'm going to give it a shot but as I've only had Motion for a little over a week things aren't looking good. I did try applying the Glass Distortion to an object but couldn't seem to get thing lined up properly. I also tried usiung the Displacement filter but couldn't animate it correctly. I'll keep trying and hopefully someone will chime in with some helpful hints.

FWIW I posted a request over on motionvfx for a video translation of the tut so we'll see what happens.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 13, 2006 at 12:05:33 am

Hi drarsky

Ok, well I'm going to give it a shot but as I've only had Motion for a little over a week things aren't looking good. I did try applying the Glass Distortion to an object but couldn't seem to get thing lined up properly. I also tried usiung the Displacement filter but couldn't animate it correctly. I'll keep trying and hopefully someone will chime in with some helpful hints.

FWIW I posted a request over on motionvfx for a video translation of the tut so we'll see what happens.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:09:12 pm

one more thing, I did play with the 3d and bevel effect as mentioned earlier, but what I want to create is the "magnification" effect that aftereffects does. If you watch the open to CSI Miami you will see the diffrent panes of glass magnify diffrently over each image, some magnify really large and some just ever so sllightly, this is what is missing from motion that I cannot figure out. oh and on the last post I meant to put the word "add" not ass, hehe I am a terrible typer :)

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:09:20 pm

Return to posts index

drarsky
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:11:49 pm

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Apr 13, 2006 at 12:15:03 am

The magnification effect can be achieved by changing the scale of the video clip and masking it to reveal only a portion of it..

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]