DJanzen
Timing Issues with Animation
on Mar 17, 2006 at 2:11:17 pm

Deep into my first client project

Return to posts index

DJanzen
Re: Timing Issues with Animation
on Mar 17, 2006 at 6:00:10 pm

I am happy to report this issue as solved! : ^ )

After all my fussing and tweaking and 'brute force' attempts to wrangle Motion into working as I saw fit, the solution was to interpolate all affected keyframes as 'bezier' (in the keyframe editor)... and everything literally fell into place! Apparently the default keyframe interpolation for 'scale' is linear, and 'position' is bezier... and they caused animation that simply would not line up. Props are due to those kind folks that helped me out... thanks!

DJanzen

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:28:59 am

Animating scale can also create what appears to be acceleration/deceleration effects even though the keyframes are set to linear interpolation. This is due to the difference in appearance due to the ratio of change between two values as compared to the numeric difference between them.

In a nutshell:
A change from 90% scale to 100% and from 10% to 20% scale are both 10 units of percentage but they appear to change a very different rates. 90% to 100% is a change of 10% of the object's size, but a change from 10%-20% is a 100% change in its size, so identical unit changes appear to occur much faster when the scale is smaller than when it's larger.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

DJanzen
on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:33:33 pm

Excellent point, Jim. Thanks for the input!

DJanzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]