FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Demo Reel

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Black Swan
Apple Demo Reel
on Mar 16, 2006 at 9:57:36 pm

I am a fairly recent convert to Final Cut Studio, and fell in love with the Apple Demo Reel (found here: http://live.watchmactv.com/?p=56 ) I saw at the NAB last year in Vegas. Apple will tell you that everything was made entirely within Studio, which I don't doubt, but have plenty of questions about. I thought it would be cool to start a thread of "how-to's" concerning the reel if anyone knows some of the tricks they used. I could start with just a basic question. In Motion, how do they get the text "Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Shake" to shrink and then slowly rubberband back out? I have played with the keyframing but can't get that soft hesitation just before it begins to grow. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Apple Demo Reel
on Mar 16, 2006 at 10:04:43 pm

Are you on Motion 2- a lot of the text behaviors were updated.

Noah

Return to posts index

Black Swan
on Mar 16, 2006 at 10:33:18 pm

Yes, sorry. I am using Motion 2 (all of Final Cut Studio). I have played with the text behaviors, and they are great, but I can't seem to figure out that soft reversal. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Mar 19, 2006 at 1:01:39 pm

Wow I'd not seen this before but what a fantastic piece of design. A tough thing to top for NAB 2006!

The shrink back and grow forwards can be done with simply keyframing of the scale parameter. Just set the keyframe interpolation to "Bezier" so it decelerates as it scales down and then accelerates on the scale up.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Black Swan
on Mar 20, 2006 at 9:21:51 pm

Martin-
Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your advice, but I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly. I set the keyframes where I want them, and then in the keyframe editor I set the interpolation to bezier, is that right? I guess it is the bezier that is giving me trouble. Do I just have to keep spinning and stretching it until I get the desired effect? One problem that I am having is that it distorts (squishes my text). Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 20, 2006 at 9:46:50 pm

Are you putting a keyframe on just the X or Y and not both?

Peter

Free Motion Templates

http://www.peterwiggins.com

Return to posts index

Black Swan
on Mar 20, 2006 at 9:55:30 pm

I appear to have set a keyframe on both X and Y, although one is directly on top of another, and I have to turn one off to see the other. I just hit the record button and set my keyframes. Should I be doing it another way?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 20, 2006 at 10:10:08 pm

And it still shrinks on one axis?

I would be tempted to reset all the parameters on that object & start over.

Peter

Free Motion Templates

Return to posts index

Black Swan
on Mar 22, 2006 at 6:45:38 pm

Thanks for the tip. I had to apply it to one axis, turn it off so I could see the other axis, and then apply it there also! It worked great, but is there an easier way to apply it to both axis's?

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Mar 22, 2006 at 6:48:56 pm

That's what I had to do too and it is a bit fiddly to get the curves to match up. Certainly would be nice to be able to lock X and Y together but I don't think that is possible.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 22, 2006 at 7:28:19 pm

I think I normally lasso both of them and then adjust.

Peter

Free Motion Templates

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]