Daisey
Motion mattes
on Mar 14, 2006 at 5:55:56 pm

I

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Motion mattes
on Mar 15, 2006 at 2:49:57 am

Create an image mask on the object you want the heart shape to cut then drop the heart shape onto the mask. Be sure to disable (but don't delete) the original heart shape object if you don't want to see the heart itself.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Daisey
on Mar 15, 2006 at 8:51:24 am

Jim

Thanks for this. I am a total novice in that I've only done the Motion tutorials which do not cover mattes and have discovered a tutorial in a book which covers keying rather than making a matte, so it is all up to me to experiment. My background is Qantel HAL so although I have years of animation/compositing experience, I have a totally different way of thinking.

I am able to make a perfect black and white image of the heart beat line and can place it over the background picture/layer. If I switch it on, then it blocks out the background picture, if I switch it off then it is not used at all.

How do I 'use' it without seeing it? With HAL this is possible, and it must be posible in Motion too! The other feature I'm missing or have not found yet, is how to be abel to select only one objct/item and say position it by draggin it all over thecanvas, without it decidiing to rather change the objects scale, or select something else. Agaiin with HAL one can easily instruct the system to only allow one to select one item and then you can tell it which aspect you want to alter as well. Any tips?

Thank you in anticipation for getting back to me!
Daisey

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Mar 15, 2006 at 7:57:03 pm

Heya Daisey,

I hate to spout the old line, but perusing chapter 12 of the manual (Using Shapes and Masks) would be of great use. The second page of the chapter gives a nice explanation of shapes vs masks, and shape-based masks vs image-based masks.

The drawing tools for shapes and shape-masks are the same, but a shape is an independent object with all sorts of properties (outline, fill, etc.), while a shape-mask is always the child-object of the object it is masking. You can, however, apply filters and behaviors to shape-masks, just like a regular shape.

Image masks are exactly that: a mask based on an image. Image masks are also child-objects, but they can use the output (image) of any other object in your project as the source for the mask. The mask can use any channel (or all channels) of the source image, so you can use the luminance of a black-and-white image, or the alpha, etc. Image masks can also have filters applied to them. In answer to your question: typically, when using an image as the source for an image-mask, you want to hide that image so that it doesn't obscure what you're masking. In fact, when you first plug the source image into the image mask, Motion will turn off the source image for you. This doesn't affect Motion's ability to "see" the image for use in the mask. Here's an example:

Let's say you have some footage of flames (like the 'Fire Wall' clip in the Content section of the Library) and you want to mask it with some text, giving you a dramatic type-treatment. You would select the fire clip in the Layers List and then go to Object->Add Image Mask. You then add some text, scale it and position it where you want the masking to be, and then drag-and-drop the text object into the image mask object (in the Layers List or Inspector). The text object will be automatically turned-off, and you will see the fire footage masked by the text. By default, the image mask uses the alpha channel of the mask source image, which the text does have. You're then free to mess around with the text (reposition it, restyle it, etc.) as much as you want. Turning it back on (or off) will not affect the mask. If you want to replace the mask source image, just drop something else in.

And don't forget, an object can have as many masks as you want, and the masks can interact with each other (add, subtract, intersect, etc).

Hope this long-winded explanation helps. Again, the manual covers all this (and more), and is quite readable (as opposed to the flame or Henry/HAL manuals, heh).

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Daisey
on Mar 20, 2006 at 12:03:19 pm

Thanks for this - I've requested a Motion Manual! As a Chapter on Shapes and Masks sounds like a GREAT help! I have not tried your example - yet ie the flames behind a text mask, but imagiine that the screen would be black except for text that is made up of moving flames - I'm interested to say keep the flames visible ALL the time while having the mask over the top of them and then say use the mask to alter the colour of the flames in the text boxes - ie one sees the flames all the time but not the mask, but one is using the mask to make the text area of the flames say have a bright orange glow. I'll try your suggestion and see if I can make this work!
Thanks again!
Daisey!

Return to posts index

Daisey
on Mar 20, 2006 at 12:15:12 pm

Hi Specialcase - moi en core -Daisey
It seems that the manuals that came with Motion are for Final Cut Pro! In what way are they reated? I am a Quantel girl and am used to doing things in a very different way - Quantel is straight forward - what is says is what you get - all these sub menus, lists, boxes etc do my head in!
Should I be contacting Apple for specific Motion manuals? Chapter 12 is on s totally different topic with the set I've got!
Wish you were in London so I could pop by your studio and pick up some tips!
Daisey!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:46:06 pm

Daisey,

Have you tried opening the Help from inside Motion? The user guides are shipped as .pdf files with the app.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

DJanzen
on Mar 21, 2006 at 1:39:58 pm

Jim is right... the Motion help files ARE a lot to wade through on-screen (for those of us who now and then like the 'touch and feel' of a paper manual), but it is all there... and a big help! A printed copy of the manual is available, but I think I read somewhere it's around $60 (US). I might wait for v3, and see about a paper manual then.

DJanzen

Return to posts index

Daisey
on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:58:57 pm

Jim
Thanks for suggestion. I'm managing to muddle through but am finding it a real challenge as one has to think in a totally different way to when using Quantel kit! Also I'm certain - no I know! - that there are often more than one way to do something, as with Quantel kit, so it is a matter of experimenting and trying things and I hope to work with someone as well some time, as I know that that is how one picks up all sorts of tips!
Thank you!
Daisey

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:44:01 pm

Each app is usually a different way to do things so sometimes it's easier to learn if you have no previous experience with a similar app. It is common to have to "unlearn" processes to learn new ones!

One of the things I like about Apple software is that they allow several ways to accomplish a task. It means more of a learning curve but enables more efficiency later.

Have fun!

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]