FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion performance: common misunderstandings

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Loch
Motion performance: common misunderstandings
on Mar 8, 2006 at 10:09:31 pm

It seems to me that Apple's ability to market is misleading people to some general misunderstandings about Motion and what can be expected from it. It would be useful to present some more factual information about what kind of performance one can expect from Motion, even with optimized h/w. For example, my experience has been that I cannot EVER get rt playback until it renders. I am happy when I can manage 20fps with a semi-complex comp (4 layers with text video and some other elements). Can anyone contribute to this idea? I think it owuld be really helpful to many.

-gl

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion performance: common misunderstandings
on Mar 9, 2006 at 12:38:16 am

Totally depends on the type of comp, preview settings and system specs. Truth is YMMV but that is probably not too sexy sounding for advertising.

Noah

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Mar 9, 2006 at 12:48:29 am

Well, I think the point is that it doesn't take much to bring it to it's knees and people need to understand that. Motion has many other features and benefits to recommend it aside from "RT performance". The problem is that many don't buy it for those features and are disappointed/frustrated when they see what the performance is really like.

-gl

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 9, 2006 at 3:23:17 am

Many... do you have the stats on that? How disappointed can most people be with for a $299 app that occasionally does the same thing a million dollar Inferno can do? But then again when you buy Coke do you actually expect the world will actually sing with you? When you buy a Jeep do you expect to drive it up a mountain? When you use Selsum Blue does one side really tingle? When you get an HP printer do you expect to get instant prints floating in thin air?

Might want to ring up David Horowitz or Ralph Nader. Or take a customer survey poll or something. Because to be honest most folks I talk to are amazed with Motion. But once again, YMMV(that's your mileage may vary for the folks at home).

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Mar 9, 2006 at 3:49:38 am

I hope you are not interpreting my post as a downer on Motion. I think it's a fabulous app. My point is the users need to bring a reality check to the surface so that people are informed as to what the real situation is with the realtime aspects of the app.

Then again, having a good steady stream of "Why is Motion so slow" posts keeps the forum alive :)

-gl

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Mar 10, 2006 at 10:19:05 pm

I've found most clients to be slower than Motion. ;^)

Seriously, if you've got beefy hardware (especially a high end video card) Motion runs very speedily for most designs. Add animated replicators or particle systems, or change to float space at full res and you can easily bring it to its knees.

When I added a Radeon x800 to my dual G5 it behaved like a spanking new machine with Motion and 3D in After Effects.

Am looking forward to seeing what the Whiz Kids will enable with 16-lane PCIe busses running workstation-class video cards...

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Mar 14, 2006 at 7:01:12 pm

I'm extremely pleased with motion.

I can do several layers of SD all in real time with no problem.

Running it on a Quad G5 with 4gb ram though. :)

Return to posts index

jbarnes42
on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:10:26 pm

IF you dont mind what are the specs on your machine?

Im running a Dual G5 2.5GHz w/ 4.5mb ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL card.

Is the Radeon 800 a huge jump from the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL.

What other aspects of the machine allow for quicker render time?

thanks

J. Barnes
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Mar 17, 2006 at 12:45:49 am

If your asking me, its a quad g5 with the factory installed 16x pci express card. having pci-express helps things a long in a very big way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]