FORUMS: list search recent posts

do text behaviours always scale from baseline?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lu Nelson
do text behaviours always scale from baseline?
on Mar 6, 2006 at 8:44:36 pm

OK, not to make another AE comparison; but does Motion allow some control over how type is scaled in the type animation behaviours (the ones that animate scale, of course)? AE has got tons of options on this.

Motion seems to only scale from the baseline, rather than from the vertical center of the character/word/line or whatever unit you've selected.

any workaround?

THX

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: do text behaviours always scale from baseline?
on Mar 6, 2006 at 8:54:56 pm

have you played with the anchor point in your attribute settings?

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 7, 2006 at 3:10:11 pm

Yep, I've tried modifying anchor point, baseline and offset -- in any combination of either the properties inspector or the text inspector.

Take a pre-built behaviour like "Behind Camera" in the "Text-Zoom" category of Text Sequence behaviours and you'll see what I mean.

The characters are being scaled from their baseline and there's no way around it. It looks really dumb IMHO

LMN

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Mar 7, 2006 at 9:55:29 pm

Yeah the default does look kinda ugly but there is a way to change it. In the Behaviors tab > Behind Camera, scroll down to the end and choose Parameter: Add > Format > Baseline. This will add a new Baseline slider below the Scale slider. If you set the Baseline to a negative value (depending on the font size) then the zoom will not be centred around the original baseline.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 8, 2006 at 8:40:43 am

Thanks Martin, -- great tip.

Adding a Baseline parameter to any Sequence Text-based behaviour that has scale changes, and scrubbing the baseline value to -50 makes the scaling (zooming) look centred.

You DH guys know your stuff

LMN

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 8, 2006 at 8:43:24 am

Oops -- no, the -50 value is not absolute. Martin is right, it depends on your font size. You have to scrub this value until it looks centred. If you change your font and/or font size after, this will probably be thrown off and have to be adjusted again.

thx LMN

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 8, 2006 at 8:51:48 am

aah -- one more caveat...this seems to work well for the scale changes; but if you have a glow on your text that is also scaled, it seems you're out of luck. It's probably an order-of-operations thing; but it does not observe your altered baseline parameter. Too bad...but I never used that scaled glow anyway

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 8, 2006 at 8:56:15 am

OK, I'm making a fool of myself. I am wrong again on that. I just saw the way to do this.

If you want to have a glow parameter in there too, and scale it, you must ALSO add the Glow>Offset parameter to your sequence behaviour and modify the vertical offset, to compensate again for the baseline scaling, like you did with baseline above.

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:13:54 am

For the Behind Camera behaviour as an example, to get the zoom centred, the Format>Baseline value is affected by both the original font size and the Format>Scale value.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Kyle Jenkins
on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:40:46 pm

Have you discovered a way to align text on the y-axis in motion without adding a camera? So that when you adjust the scale of the text in a FCP template it doesn't scale up from the baseline but scales up from the middle of the word (and downwards for that matter)?

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:31:25 am

I'm not sure that's possible, unless you are using Motion 4, then you could apply a parameter linking behaviour to the offset value on the text, which is linked to type size. It would require some arbitrary multiple factor in the behaviour as well, to get it right and this would be different for every font I think.

Lu Nelson
Berlin, Germany
--
[MacProQ2.66, 8GB, Sys10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5, AE 9.0.2]

Return to posts index

Kyle Jenkins
on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:05:02 pm

I am using motion 4, but am kind of a Newb at it... I don't really know anything about parameter linking...

Care to walk me through the steps?

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:37:06 pm

I don't have it in front of me, and it would take a while to explain;

but you should look for a tutorial on parameter linking in Motion, and see if you can track back to what we said earlier in the thread. The idea would be to get the offset value to change itself automatically based on the type size, so it's always appearing to scale from the middle. In the Link Parameter behaviour you have the option to multiply the the parameter you are linking to by some number, and this is where you'll have to experiment with some decimal number that will be the correct offset factor. Like I said it will be different for each font cause they have different actual character heights relative to their type point size.

Lu Nelson
Berlin, Germany
--
[MacProQ2.66, 8GB, Sys10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5, AE 9.0.2]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]