FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow: Roundtripping & FCP - edit flexibility lacking?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob
Workflow: Roundtripping & FCP - edit flexibility lacking?
by
on Feb 27, 2006 at 12:50:20 pm

So Motion2/FCP5 roundtripping "works" for me, BUT, it seems to really lack a key feature to make it truly flexible - OR am I missing something? Point is, yes, I can select a clip & send it to Motion, but what if later I want to change the clip that the effects are applied to? Easiest would be to overwrite the "source" clip in FCP timeline, without overwriting the Motion effect. But of course you can't do that. Or can you? (Without the dance of exporting a QT ref file and replacing it via Motion.)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Workflow: Roundtripping & FCP - edit flexibility lacking?
on Feb 27, 2006 at 5:34:32 pm

How do you want to change it that you cannot?

Noah

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Feb 27, 2006 at 6:51:10 pm

I think what Bob is looking for is being able to "step in" to the Motion clip and be able to change the source media directly in FCP. I agree this would be a very cool feature and would really take the FCP/Motion combination to a new level.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Bob
by
on Feb 27, 2006 at 6:53:55 pm

"Step In" - THAT's IT! (in reference to my post below about Avid). That's what Avid called it....

Return to posts index

Bob
by
on Feb 27, 2006 at 6:53:06 pm

Even though Avid can't do what I'm asking for (as least it couldn't 3 years ago, when iI switched to FCP), their interface approach for what I'd like was perfect. Scenario: you've sent a clip to Motion, roundtripped it back, and have it in the FCP timeline. Now you need to change out the shot that was the "base" for the Motion FX. In Avid, when you had filters applied (not talking a "roundtrip" thing here) you could double-click the clip, and it would "open up vertically" to show filters, etc as sort of a layered clip. You could then use regular edit tools to swap shots, etc. SO... if the Motion "returned" clip could somehow be opened in FCP so that the "base" shot could be swapped, without having to export a QT ref from FCP, that would then go into the Motion composite. OR, do you folks overwrite the Motion clip w/ the new shot, send that to Motion, then open up the original Motion file for that spot and copy all the FX content to the new clip?

Return to posts index

lcdavid
on Feb 27, 2006 at 10:23:34 pm

I think the best way to approximate what you are trying to achieve is put all your effects into one layer in Motion and drag the layer into the favorites folder, then send the new clip you want to use from FCP to motion and drag the newly-created favorite into your canvas, swap the shots and you should see what you want. This is more steps, but should do what you need it to do. I have also had some success with copy and paste from one motion project to another. In other words, send the new clip to a motion project just as a way to hold it and copy it into the original composite.

Return to posts index

Bob
by
on Feb 27, 2006 at 10:27:23 pm

Yup, this is what I've been doing (copy n paste), but didn't seem as elegant as it should be.

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Feb 27, 2006 at 10:39:48 pm

Heya Bob,

The tricky bit is that the Motion projects might use a number of media files, not just a single background clip, so it's not a straight one-in one-out switch. You'd need the ability to browse and replace any of the media in the embedded Motion project, so you might as well switch to Motion, anyways.

All that being said, I can see how that if you're doing something really simple like a lower-third over a single clip, it would be nice to do a swap.

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Mar 1, 2006 at 2:13:03 am

if your not affecting the clip (apply any effects directly to it) you can always export from fcp - add layers - switch of the clip and save motion project. then import the motion project into fcp and cut it on a video track above your clip.
because motion creates an alpha channel it will be composited onto your base track. then just replace the clip as you like.
really depends on if your applying effects to the clip in motion that only exist in motion.
Carsten

Return to posts index

Bob
by
on Mar 1, 2006 at 1:35:40 pm

Yup, this is how I do all lower 3rds, etc. But I was thinking of what Martin reminded me Avid called it - "Stepping Into" the clip. Call this one for the wishlist...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]