FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aged Film effect in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott
Aged Film effect in Motion
on Feb 7, 2006 at 5:35:29 pm

Am I mistaken in thinking the new version of Motion included an "aged film" effect a la iMovie HD's effect of the same name?

We just so happen to have a project where we need just such an effect. When we did it before we had FCP Studio, we used a combination of AE and iMovie. It was quick, easy, and the client loved it.

Now they want to update the content, and I thought Motion had the same effect. If I have to do it in iMovie, we have to convert the project to DV resolution. Is there a way to do this effect completely in Motion that would be as easy and quick as doing it in iMovie?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Aged Film effect in Motion
on Feb 9, 2006 at 4:17:43 am

Heya Scott,

I saw your post and thought, "What a great challenge!" Motion doesn't have an "aged film" filter, but you can do much, much better than the cheesy iMovie effect. With just a few shapes, some filters, a couple generators and some behaviors, you have an old, newsreel-style effect that is very configurable. To make it longer, you just stretch out the length of the shapes/filters/behaviors, etc. It was fun and surprisingly quick to make. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

http://www.motionsmarts.com/downloads/agedfilm.html

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Feb 9, 2006 at 3:04:23 pm

Hey specialcase. I'm not the original poster but I downloaded the file and at least for me it's empty - Motion boots but the project looks...well...empty. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:54:42 pm

Heya Kim,

I put a little bit of explanation on the download page, but maybe I should add a ReadMe to the .zip file. What you are downloading is NOT a project file. It's a preset file (XML) that contains some layers, behaviors, filters, etc. Create a new SD-res project and drag the preset file from the File Browser into the Layers List, just as you would do with footage. To use the effect, just drop some footage into the bottom nested layer (it's labeled).

Any objects or group of objects in Motion can be dragged out into the File Browser, and Motion saves out a little XML snippet that contains all their info (properties, animation, etc.) This makes it easy to create and animate something and then send it to someone else. You can also drag that stuff out into the Library, creating presets (anything from a simple filter setting to a massive collection of objects) that you can apply any time in the future.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Feb 9, 2006 at 6:19:15 pm

You're a genius. I was 100% sure I was doing something wrong. Thanks for putting your know-how into other people's projects! All the best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]