FORUMS: list search recent posts

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 + Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spiro
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 + Motion?
on Jan 23, 2006 at 10:38:54 pm

Is this card any good? I have the Quad G5 with 2.5 RAM, but Motion seems kind of slow to me.

For example - playback is kind of choppy with the Golden Cam particle emitter + Slit Scan filter. These are the only two things I have on my canvas.

Return to posts index

George Loch
Re: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 + Motion?
on Jan 23, 2006 at 10:54:36 pm

No, that card is pretty poor all around. If you want to be productive in Motion you will want a better card.

-gl

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Jan 24, 2006 at 1:51:13 am

Bummer. Any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Jan 24, 2006 at 2:42:16 am

BTW - I have the Dell 24" widescreen monitor. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:47:16 am

ACtually, it makes a big difference. The video card is driving yoru monitor and providing assistence to Motion. The higher the resolution on them onitor the more it's tasking the video card. I would plan on getting the 7800GT.

-gl

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:23:09 am

I typed "7800GT" into newegg.com's search engine - came up with 25 different brands, all around $300. Does it matter which one I choose? I don't know a whole lot about video cards. Plus I'm a "newbie" on the Mac!

Thanks for the help George.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jan 24, 2006 at 5:40:19 am

You have to get the 7800gt that is made for Apple. The problem is that I ahve not seen it for sale anywhere. It's a BTO item on Apple's site but that is the only place I have seen so far. I will let you know if I come across someone selling it.

-gl

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Jan 24, 2006 at 6:28:03 pm

Heya,

BTO graphics cards often get treated by Apple as a "part", rather than a regular item, so they sometimes don't appear on the Apple Store website. Try calling an Apple Store (retail) or a reseller that does repairs, and ask how much it would be for a Mac 7800GT, which they should be able to order from Apple. I saw the same deal with the 6800 Ultra card. Apple didn't have it on the web site, but you could buy it in an Apple OEM "Graphics Upgrade" box.

Getting a 7800 into your system will make it fly. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Spiro
on Jan 24, 2006 at 7:48:05 pm

I just talked to an Apple dealer here in town - he said that the 7800 is not available ... it's only BTO.

What a drag. With my old PC I was used to ordering parts whenever and wherever I pleased, always shopping around for the best deal. But not with Apple. The Apple dealer told me that the 7800 would probably cost $500. Newegg.com sells it for $300.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jan 25, 2006 at 12:54:24 am

Well, I wouldn't fret too much. ATI was showing the X1800XT at Macworld so they will probably be offering that soon. That, I believe, will then push the 7800gt into better availabilty status. I do agree that the general lack of options is frustrating a times. OTOH, there are cases where TOO MANY options is also less than helpful. On my own PC workstations, I tend to get a H/W combo I like and stick with it.

BTW On the PC I am an avid Nvidia fan due to their superior OpenGL drivers. On the mac however, both ATI and Nvidia seem hampered by the OS X OpenGL drivers so there is no real difference at this point. The Quadro suffers the most because of this. That may change in the future.

-gl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]