FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do I Upgrade Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mschirad
How Do I Upgrade Motion?
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:48:34 pm

I have Motion 1.0, and want to upgrade it to Motion 2, but I tried to find an upgrade on Apple's web site, and found nothing. There is only the possibility of upgrading to FC Studio. Am I stuck on a "Motion 1.0 island?" What are my options?

Any takers?

mschirado

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How Do I Upgrade Motion?
on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:24:16 pm

Are the components of Final Cut Studio available as standalone products?

Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro are now available exclusively as part of Final Cut Studio. To meet the needs of the modern post-production workflow, Final Cut Studio provides seamless integration between video editing, sound design, motion graphics, and DVD authoring tools.

Short answer- nope. You need to get the full package if you want Motion 2. Call Apple up- I suspect there's some sort of upgrade path that might save you the full price or if you happen to have FCP you'll get a good deal.

Noah

Return to posts index

mushyosh
on Jan 11, 2006 at 10:54:33 pm

what are you talking about? I walked into the shop, and bought motion 2 off the shelf. Right next to motion 2, was a box labelled motion 2 - upgrade.

I live in Hong Kong, does that make any difference to matters? I wouldnt think so. Its not like software is region restricted.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:24:50 am

According to the Apple HK website the opportunity to purchase Motion 2 as a standalone product is in fact limited to your market- so lucky you.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jim
by
on Jan 15, 2006 at 12:22:16 am

MacMall still shows Motion 2 Upgrade available for purchase. According to Apple you'll be able to get the full Final Cut Studio for $199 as an upgrade to Motion 2. http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Jan 16, 2006 at 12:23:03 am

You might still be able to find copies on the shelves of local dealers and even some online retailers, but it is my understanding that Apple has discontinued the manufacture of the standalone apps. It's the Studio or nothing at this point.

Upgrade prices are irresistable if you are planning on keeping your current hardware for a bit longer. After all, April 1 is the 30th anniversary of Apple, and NAB is a couple of weeks later.

Personally, I'll wait a bit longer to jump into the Core Duo systems. I was very impressed by the iMac and MacBook Pro at Macworld last week, but couldn't see how the pro apps run since they aren't yet running (publically) on the Intel chips. I am definitely upgrading my hardware this year.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

mschirad
on Jan 16, 2006 at 5:00:06 pm

I found an upgrade box, out of 6 left at MacMall, and ordered it. So I guess I'm safe now.

I had no idea that you couldn't buy DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion and FCP seperately. I would have thought that would be huge news, and affect budgets significantly.

mschirad

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Jan 16, 2006 at 5:59:29 pm

They just announced the change last week. Apple doesn't always trumpet their news--frequently it's announced quietly. Costs of upgrading to the Studio are very reasonable.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Rene Coffey
on Jan 21, 2006 at 6:01:03 pm

I'm a bit surprised by the news, what's Apple's logic behind it?

It makes me wonder if FCP is the only application making them money, it also makes me concerned for the future of Motion,
tell me I'm being pessimistic please :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]