FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance on a Powerbook 1.67?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valerie Shoaps
Performance on a Powerbook 1.67?
on Dec 29, 2005 at 5:17:18 pm

Happy Holidays to All,

I've got a chance to get either a Quad or new Powerbook. I'm kind of leaning toward the latter, as I can't make heads or tails of the hardware issues with the Quad. With the Powerbook, is it capable of pushing through with Motion 2 or is a lot of rendering required? Any points worth being mentioned are greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Valerie

COW Forum Hostess
-----------------
AVID Editing
Bay Area Video & Motion Graphics UGs

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Performance on a Powerbook 1.67?
on Dec 29, 2005 at 6:24:32 pm

You'll get decent Motion performance but nowhere near in the league of the Quad. If I were doing Motion stuff once a week or so the Powerbook would be my thing, but if I wanted to do heavy duty work with it daily I would get the Quad with latest graphics card.

Noah

Return to posts index

Valerie Shoaps
GeForce 660?
on Dec 29, 2005 at 7:30:14 pm

Hi Noah,

Is this card that much of a dog with a Quad (which I'm leaning to)?

COW Forum Hostess
-----------------
AVID Editing
Bay Area Video & Motion Graphics UGs

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GeForce 660?
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:31:14 pm

Hi Valerie-

Check out Barefeats.com for specific performance data. If Motion is going to be your chief app- splurge on RAM and Graphics card they are more important than raw processor speed for Motion's realtime preview. If it's one notch down on the processor with a better graphics card- that will serve you better with Motion.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: GeForce 660?
on Dec 30, 2005 at 6:38:06 pm

If you're going to get the Quad upgrade to the 7800. The 6600 is fine for non-video apps but not very good for video. Video drives the card harder, especially Motion and any animation programs.

We will be seeing more and more processing pushed onto the graphics chip, so don't skimp on it if you intend to keep your system for more than a year.

The only reason to go with a Powerbook is if you have to constantly work on site. If you go this route, be sure to bill by the hour and charge for rendering time!

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

George Loch
Re: Performance on a Powerbook 1.67?
on Dec 31, 2005 at 8:09:55 am

The Quad will be a much better investment in terms of longevity. Having used a decked out PB with Motion, I would not advise it. The current PBs are sleek and excellent presentation tools but, I don't think they make great dedicated workstations. Unless the purchase needs to happen right away, you may want to hold off on buying a Powerbook until Apple revs it this year with Intel H/W. Then it will be a much different horse race.

-gl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]