FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I get DV Matte Blast with Motion 2, or DV Matte Pro with After Effects???

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mushyosh
Should I get DV Matte Blast with Motion 2, or DV Matte Pro with After Effects???
on Dec 21, 2005 at 11:56:27 pm

I wilk soon own both After Effects, and Apple Motion 2. I am trying to find out which one would be better to do my green screen work with.

Could someone with the expertise please explain which of the two programs; AE or Motion, is better or quicker or easier, and why?

I've never used motion before, but from the demos it looks fast and intuitive.... Whats it like with green screen?

Return to posts index

Brian FitzGerald
Re: Should I get DV Matte Blast with Motion 2, or DV Matte Pro with After Effects???
on Dec 22, 2005 at 1:43:12 am

I bought Matte Blast a month or so ago after folks in these parts suggested it. It works great and I am still using DVCAM @ 4:1:1 for my field acquisition (soon to buy an HVX-200 @ 4:2:2).
Since some consider keying imposible with 4:1:1 (not true), I'm here to tell you it works great.
You do need to be careful as always about minimizing spill but I am almost amazed at how good Matte Blast works.

Brian FitzGerald
FitzVideo.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Should I get DV Matte Blast with Motion 2, or DV Matte Pro with After Effects???
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:20:48 am

You can easily demo on Motion and AFX to see what works best for you. Totally comes down to preference though again AFX is built as a compositor first and a motion graphics design system second, Motion is the other way around.

Noah

Return to posts index

specialcase
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:38:10 am

Heya,

As Noah pointed out, you can use demo versions to make a determination. A few things to keep in mind: because it is GPU-based, the Motion version runs extremely fast. Fast, as in real-time keying of HDV (1080) on my system. You can get reeeaaal used to that sort of speed. It is, however, slightly more limited than the AE version: it doesn't have the light wrap feature (not always important). As cheap as they are, I would buy both. They pay for themselves quite quickly.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Dec 22, 2005 at 5:40:07 am

Performance will really depend on what sort of hardware you're running on. With the right hardware, Motion is hard to beat for this sort of thing due to its realtime capabilities.

AE has a much broader toolset, especially with plug-ins, and a larger user base (which means a lot more support resources for now).

Mac-based pros will have both in their toolboxes.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]