FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying for a vignette

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Nedy
Trying for a vignette
on Dec 16, 2005 at 7:50:02 pm

Ok, this should be easy. All I'm trying to do is create a vignette so that I can place the focus on the interviewee, and try and get some of the noisy background to fall off out of focus.

I'm not very familiar with Motion, I deal mostly in FCP 4.5, and the help resources provided with the program aren't really helping much. Basically, I don't even know if I can do this with this program. Is it possible?

Thanks for the help.

Joshua

Return to posts index

specialcase
Re: Trying for a vignette
on Dec 16, 2005 at 8:06:45 pm

Hey Joshua,

There are a number of ways to do a vignette, but the quickest and easiest is the...wait for it...Vignette filter! You can find it in the Filters->Stylize category. It allows you to set the vignette size and falloff, then specify if you want the outer area darkened, blurred, desaturated, etc. Keep in the mind that the slider range for the blur isn't the max value: you can crank up much higher.

Just a tip: if you opened the user manual (found in the Help menu) and typed 'vignette' into the search, you would've found exactly what you needed. Try searching the manual, in the future.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

J. Nedy
on Dec 16, 2005 at 8:11:26 pm

Well heres the thing, I went to the mannual and typed "Vignette" in before posting this and got nothing. Checked my filters just to be sure I wasn't going crazy and sure enough, no Vignette. Which tells me your running Motion 2.0 probably.
I'm running 1.0.1 But thanks for that tip.

With that bit of much needed info can you now tell me if there is a way to do this in v1.0?

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Dec 16, 2005 at 8:30:57 pm

First, I highly recommend the upgrade to M2. Much more stable and some excellent new features. But if $$$ are tight....

1. Create a new element that is an oval the size of the vignette area.

2. Fill it with a radial gradient that's white in the center and black at the edge. Make sure that the transition doesn't start until it's pretty close to the outer edge.

3. Select the object that you want to vignette and duplicate it.

4. Select the lower copy of the object you just duplicated and darken it (or filter it as the less important "outside shadow" area).

5. Select the unaffected copy directly above and and add an Image Mask from the Object menu.

6. Drag the gradient oval object and drop it onto the Image Mask object to use it as the opacity map.

7. Adjust the size of the original gradient oval object until it is the way you want it to look.

8. Gets lot of money from the delighted client.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

J. Nedy
on Dec 16, 2005 at 8:38:47 pm

Thanks a bunch, it worked like a charm.

I really appreciate your help.

Joshua

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>