FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't run Motion App

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry
Can't run Motion App
on Dec 6, 2005 at 3:19:35 pm

Okay, this has me stumped. Motion will not load properly for me. When the initializing program and selecting either start from template or new project (any settings), the program launches and only displays the file browser pane. WIth only the rare exception (1 out of 20 attempts) do any other panes open up. Doesn't matter how long I wait -- I left then Motion app (the only program running) overnight and no change. On the rare occasision that I do get other panes to open up there are still problems -- the Canvas Pane has no "tool icons" even though they are turned on. When I select the Motion prferences -- I only get the "General" tab --- none of the other preference tabs appear.

I have dumped the Motion preferences file, created a New User, Logged On as New User and get the same behavior when launching the Motion app.

I have dumped all Motion receipt packages, the Motion plist file and all Motion files and folders and reinstalled. I have used the install disk from another FCP suite package and still not working right. Every thing else to work fine. FCP runs flawlessly, as do DVD Studio, Compressor, Soundtrack and Title Motion. Also, have not seen any issues with QT. I do not have any anti-virus programs loaded (even though I should) and network access is limited to outbound traffic only.

When installing the program (separate from FCP Studio Pro suite) it gives no error messages, and the hardware meets the requirments at least enough to install the program. I have attached the Console crash log. Hopefully, somebody sees something that can straighten this mess out.

I am running Tiger -- fully updated, QT 7 (fully updated), before I installed FCP and the suite apps., and I have run software update again to install the Apple Pro Apps update. Motion still won't cooperate. Sorry for the long post but I'm at my end and am looking a complete clean install just to get this one program running right. For the record Apple Tech support has been helpful but has yet to determine the problem.

Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5
1 Gig DDR SDRAM (MAC installed)
23" Apple Cinema HD Display 1920x1200
ATI Display (ATY RV350)
HD - 150 GB (30 GB available)
AJA LA IO (software V2.1 and firmware 1.1)

Tiger 10.4.3
QT 7.0.3
FCP 5.0.3
23" Apple Cinema HD Display 1920x1200

============================================

console.log:

Description: User events log
Size: 6.92 KB
Last Modified: 12/6/05 9:42 AM
Recent Contents: ...
Motion(307,0xa000ed68) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffd500; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Motion(307,0xa000ed68) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffd4d0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

=====================================================================
Profile Statistics:

0 bytes NOT freed (0 blocks)
Maximum blocks allocated at once: 0
Total blocks used: 0

Disk Utility started.

Mount of

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
Re: Can't run Motion App
on Dec 6, 2005 at 5:40:07 pm

Could you have a bad memory chip? Happened to me once, drove me nuts till I replaced it. They can go bad over time.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Jerry
on Dec 8, 2005 at 3:56:45 pm

Any way to test for bad ram?

Return to posts index

alan smithee
on Feb 11, 2006 at 3:55:36 pm

did you get a fix for this? am having some of the same issues and cannot solve them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]